Split charge relay

Old March 3rd 04, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Default Split charge relay

Hi all

Just a bit of advise please, I am putting in the twin electrics on my pajero
today. I need to run a feed from the batter (no problem) and run 1 wire to
the alternator light, my problem is there seems to be no easy way of doing
it on this motor. I was wondering if it would be safe to connect this wire
is the boot to the accessory socket which is only live when the ignition is
on, I take it the relay will just take a feed and not use it as such so wont
cause a problem with the socket when its used?

Thanks all

Steve

Old March 3rd 04, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I was wondering if it would be safe to connect this wire
is the boot to the accessory socket which is only live when the ignition

is
on, I take it the relay will just take a feed and not use it as such so

wont
cause a problem with the socket when its used?

Correct.
As stated previously I used the glove box lamp supply to power the relay.
The current it draws is minimal-just enough to close a set of contacts. That
action switches on the heavy current (supplied by your direct battery lead)
to the fridge.
DaveK.

Old March 3rd 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane

In article [email protected], NOSPAMhelp-
says...
Hi all

Just a bit of advise please, I am putting in the twin electrics on my pajero
today. I need to run a feed from the batter (no problem) and run 1 wire to
the alternator light, my problem is there seems to be no easy way of doing
it on this motor. I was wondering if it would be safe to connect this wire
is the boot to the accessory socket which is only live when the ignition is
on, I take it the relay will just take a feed and not use it as such so wont
cause a problem with the socket when its used?

Thanks all

Steve

You don't just want a socket that is live when the ignition is on, you
want a socket that is only live when the engine is running. That is why
a voltage sensing split charge relay is an easy option to fit, or as you
suggest a connection from the alternator (if you can get to it).

If you connect to the accessory socket it will be live with the ignition
on in the accessory position but without the engine running and the
battery charging. So you could end up with the 'van hitched up on the
back, stopped for lunch with the ignition on to listen to the radio/CD,
engine not running and fridge drawing 8 amps or more from your car
battery.

Why not do it properly?

Ian
Old March 3rd 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

Could it have been Steve who typed:

|| Hi all
|| Just a bit of advise please, I am putting in the twin electrics on
|| my pajero today. I need to run a feed from the batter (no problem)
|| and run 1 wire to the alternator light, my problem is there seems to
|| be no easy way of doing it on this motor. I was wondering if it
|| would be safe to connect this wire is the boot to the accessory
|| socket which is only live when the ignition is on, I take it the
|| relay will just take a feed and not use it as such so wont cause a
|| problem with the socket when its used?
|| Thanks all
|| Steve

Relay switches at charging voltage greater than 12.5V so if the voltage
drops to a point when the battery starts to discharge, less than 12.2V the
relay switches off. so anywhere which is a realistic voltage point will do.
mine is wired onto the battery (the same point as the main feed not by me
though!) and works well. I have in the past wired onto boot lights,
ignition feeds, mostly out of necessity and convenience...

Des

---

Old March 3rd 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Why not do it properly?

Sounds properly to me. Stopped for lunch-listening to radio, fridge
continues to keep cool drawing about 8 amps.
Hour later, back on the road. Unless the car battery is knacked, will cope
very well. If it's a worry to you, unplug from the caravan.
DaveK.

Old March 4th 04, 06:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MikeS

"Steve" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi all

Just a bit of advise please, I am putting in the twin electrics on my

pajero
today. I need to run a feed from the batter (no problem) and run 1 wire to
the alternator light, my problem is there seems to be no easy way of doing
it on this motor. I was wondering if it would be safe to connect this wire
is the boot to the accessory socket which is only live when the ignition

is
on, I take it the relay will just take a feed and not use it as such so

wont
cause a problem with the socket when its used?

Thanks all

Steve

Steve,

Do a Google search for Tony Marris he's the expert on these things. Or
Google news groups caravanning. Dont use the advise given by Davek, you need
a system that is automatic and disconnects the car from the caravan battery
when the engine is not running.
MikeS

Old March 4th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:21:49 GMT, "MikeS"
wrote:

Do a Google search for Tony Marris he's the expert on these things.

http://www.towitall.co.uk/default.htm

(remove the spam to reply)