Advice on broken shower - alledged frost damage

Old March 3rd 04, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

Default Advice on broken shower - alledged frost damage

Hi
While away last week, my shower started to leak. My van is a new
Abbey - and the water was leaking out of the back of the shower tap -
where the hot and cold water enter the back of the tap. I had a look
at it - and the pipes were in - and nothing was loose. It has worked
a couple of times earlier in the week - then all of a sudden - it
leaked. I called th dealer I bought it from (it is 9 months old) and
the workshop manager was a bit cocky in his "sounds like frost damage
- you'll have to pay for it". This got my back up immediatley - I've
caravanned for years and never had a problem before. I always drain
the systems fully - and then leave all the taps open - without the
pump attached to allow any residual water to drain. On top of this,
the shower worked a couple of times - before it leaked during the week
- and the heating was always on - and the shower tap is exposed to the
warmth...
What do you think? He said he will charge me for it anyway - then
send the tap off (I assume to the manufacturer) - and if they say it
wasn't frost damage - he will refund me.
If they think of not refunding me - I plan to write to Abbey because
I've done everything possible to protect it - so any damage from frost
(which I seriously doubt), will be a design fault....
I am sure lots of people DO damage equipment by not draining systems
down - but I did - and always do...
Simon
Old March 3rd 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:43:04 +0000, Simon Hawthorne
wrote:

I called th dealer I bought it from (it is 9 months old) and
the workshop manager was a bit cocky in his "sounds like frost damage
- you'll have to pay for it". This got my back up immediatley - I've
caravanned for years and never had a problem before.

Ring up and have a word with his boss, and if that gets you nowhere
find the owners of the dealers and have a word with them, With your
past experiences and with the fact that it worked without leaks to
start with there should be no questions, the only let out that a
dealer may have is if he specifically warned you to do something which
you did not do when draining down the system.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old March 3rd 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Simon Hawthorne" wrote in message
news
[...]

Have you thought of Trading Standards? In my experience they're very helpful
when dealing with such matters.

Mary

Old March 3rd 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article ,
wrote
[...]

It is unlikely to be frost damage if the tap assembly is attached to
an interior wall, unless that wall is riddled with damp.

Old March 4th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
[...]

I have to say I made the mistake of not opening the taps during the winter
when we first had our current van and I was surprised at the damaged caused
to the shower head. I had even drained down the system! What interests me
about your mail is that you state that the heater was on so I assume it was
impossible for the interior of the van to go below freezing? I know it has
been exceptionally cold recently with frosts of -10 but I can't see that the
water left in the shower could have frozen.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old March 4th 04, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"klyne" wrote in message

I have to say I made the mistake of not opening the taps during the winter
when we first had our current van and I was surprised at the damaged

caused
to the shower head. I had even drained down the system!

When I drained down our system (prior to breaking the pump at new year,
since when we haven't used on-board water!), I tried leaving the taps open,
but the on-board pump on our Lunar Chateau worked all the time. I tried to
switch off the RCD in the wardrobe, but the pump carried on regardless.

This being the case, how can I safely leave my taps open when in
"drain-down" mode?

Old March 4th 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:27:24 -0000, "Leyland_Leopard"
wrote:

| "klyne" wrote in message
|

| I have to say I made the mistake of not opening the taps during the winter
| when we first had our current van and I was surprised at the damaged
| caused
| to the shower head. I had even drained down the system!
|
| When I drained down our system (prior to breaking the pump at new year,
| since when we haven't used on-board water!), I tried leaving the taps open,
| but the on-board pump on our Lunar Chateau worked all the time. I tried to
| switch off the RCD in the wardrobe, but the pump carried on regardless.
|
| This being the case, how can I safely leave my taps open when in
| "drain-down" mode?

Switch off the 12v supply?
Works with my van :-)

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Butane v Propane.
Butane gives about 15% more cups of tea per bottle. Butane gives

Old March 4th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Leyland_Leopard wrote:

When I drained down our system (prior to breaking the pump at new
year, since when we haven't used on-board water!), I tried leaving
the taps open, but the on-board pump on our Lunar Chateau worked all
the time. I tried to switch off the RCD in the wardrobe, but the
pump carried on regardless.

This being the case, how can I safely leave my taps open when in
"drain-down" mode?

Surely, the RCD is part of the mains electric system - whereas the pump is
supplied with 12v from the battery.

Is there not a 12v control panel somewhere - with switches for pump, 12v
lighting and auxilliary (including toilet flush)? My caravan certainly has
one!

If all else fails, have a look in your handbook! g
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old March 4th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:12:18 -0000, "klyne"
wrote:

What interests me
about your mail is that you state that the heater was on so I assume it was
impossible for the interior of the van to go below freezing?

Exactly! Minimum temp inside would have been approx 15 degs C - the
silly workshop manager has jumped to one almighty assumption. I have
emailed my first post to Abbey/Swift - see what they have to say.

Thanks

Si

Old March 4th 04, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dennis Primm

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:43:04 +0000, Simon Hawthorne
wrote:

What do you think?

I think you're trying to pull a swift one, that's what I think.

Why not just face up to the fact that you cocked up and put it down to
experience?