Caravan Covers

Old March 4th 04, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Murphy

Default Caravan Covers

Anyone any experience of storing their caravan out-of-doors with a tarpaulin
or a cover over to keep the rain off?

Any problems with condensation, damp mould, damage etc.?

Use of cover made of breathable material?

Old March 4th 04, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nicholas Speed

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:03:05 -0000, "Richard Murphy"
wrote:

Anyone any experience of storing their caravan out-of-doors with a tarpaulin
or a cover over to keep the rain off?

Any problems with condensation, damp mould, damage etc.?

That's a really stupid idea. You will find all of your window seals
perish within weeks if you try it.

Old March 4th 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MikeS

"Nicholas Speed"
That's a really stupid idea. You will find all of your window seals
perish within weeks if you try it.

Nic,
Your in to much of a hurry to condemn someone asking a reasonable question!

Richard,
It has been found that if you cover a caravan with a tarp the action of wind
rubs the tarp against the windows and painwork can cause damage. I used a
breathable (soft) made to measure cover last year which was supposed to be
breathable and I think it was. I washed the van before fitting it and the
water on the windows and bodywork dried out after the cover had been fitted.
But the van smelt musty and had some mould on the wooden parts of the
furniture. Because of this I did not put the cover on this winter.

I have just put the van in for a service. I had to clean of some mould from
furniture but it was not as bad as last year because I cleaned the inside
of the van with one of those spray on disinfectants. I only got mould where
my wife and I missed bits. When I get the van back I will fit the cover
because I cant see any difference between it on or off, except with it off
the van gets very dirty because its under trees.

Last year it was as clean, as the day I put the cover on, when I took it
off, haveing been covered for some some four months. The one thing one must
do is put protection over the parts that protrude because friction due to
wind action could wear a hole in the fabric. I suggest you go onto the web
sites of the manufactures and find out what they claim. also do a Google on
news groups caravan covers and you will get al the past posts on the
subject.
Regards MikeS

Old March 4th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:39:35 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

| "Nicholas Speed" wrote in message
| news | On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:03:05 -0000, "Richard Murphy"
| wrote:
|
| Anyone any experience of storing their caravan out-of-doors with a
| tarpaulin
| or a cover over to keep the rain off?
|
| Any problems with condensation, damp mould, damage etc.?
|
| That's a really stupid idea. You will find all of your window seals
| perish within weeks if you try it.
|
| Why?

It is a Troll
"Nicholas Speed" has no posting history.

Dave F

Old March 4th 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:10:33 GMT, "MikeS" wrote:

| "Nicholas Speed"
| That's a really stupid idea. You will find all of your window seals
| perish within weeks if you try it.
| Nic,
| Your in to much of a hurry to condemn someone asking a reasonable question!

No he is a Troll :-( without posting history :-((((((
Old March 4th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James S

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:19:37 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:10:33 GMT, "MikeS" wrote:

| "Nicholas Speed"
| That's a really stupid idea. You will find all of your window seals
| perish within weeks if you try it.
| Nic,
| Your in to much of a hurry to condemn someone asking a reasonable question!

No he is a Troll :-( without posting history :-((((((

Dave thinks that everyone should have a posting history before posting
to newsgroups. Quite how they should do this without actually posting
for the first time is something only Mr Fawthrop can comprehend.

Oh, and as for trolling, you might want to take a look at Dave's
posting history on Google.
Old March 4th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Richard Murphy" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of storing their caravan out-of-doors with a

tarpaulin
or a cover over to keep the rain off?

Any problems with condensation, damp mould, damage etc.?

Use of cover made of breathable material?

I used a custom made cover of so-called breathable material during Dec '03
for the first time. We had very variable weather, sun, cold rain etc. I
found that with the cover a 'condition' was formed over the Fiamma unit with
caused condensation to form on the underside (inside of van) which then
dripped on to the floor. Consequently, I do not use it anymore. No problems
before I used it and none since I stopped using it.

HTH ....... Richard

Old March 4th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Richard Murphy" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of storing their caravan out-of-doors with a

tarpaulin
or a cover over to keep the rain off?

Any problems with condensation, damp mould, damage etc.?

Use of cover made of breathable material?

We have a made to measure breathable cover for our 10' van which lives on
the Welsh mountain farm. It gets the very worst of all weather, mostly wet.

We took it off last week to live in the 'van and there were absolutely no
problems of damp. The 'van smelt as sweet as when we left it last July. the
cover itself was a tad scuffed because of high winds making it rub on
unprotected parts we hadn't thought to protect, the obvious corners had the
supplied foam protectors which prevented all damage.

We're very pleased with it. It takes about ten to fifteen minutes to put it
back on, most of that is locating and fastening the straps which ensure a
snug fit round the 'van.

Mary

Old March 5th 04, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
anyone

"Bishop Pedro Parsnippage" wrote in message
IAWTP.

Well blow me, wotcha Vic. Trolling for some sport?
Won't your mate Pikey come out to play?
I reckon the dibbles must have'im, or maybe he's turned
'born again christian' due to your excellent leadership?