Jeep Cherokee (1994/96) as a Tug?

Old March 4th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter H

Default Jeep Cherokee (1994/96) as a Tug?

Greetings

I could do with changing tow-car soon: I have a 1989 Trooper TD at the
moment, and want to stay with 4wd whilst desperately needing more grunt!

The Jeeps seem to offer the best Bang per Buck, but what are they like as a
tug? Can anyone who's actually used one give me some info. as to MPG and
practicality for towing, particularly the 4.0 ltr. Auto, as these seem to be
the most commonly available?

TIA

Pete

Old March 4th 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Peter H
writes
Greetings

I could do with changing tow-car soon: I have a 1989 Trooper TD at the
moment, and want to stay with 4wd whilst desperately needing more grunt!

The Jeeps seem to offer the best Bang per Buck, but what are they like as a
tug? Can anyone who's actually used one give me some info. as to MPG and
practicality for towing, particularly the 4.0 ltr. Auto, as these seem to be
the most commonly available?

TIA

Pete

Had a Cherokee and a Grand, both the 4 litre straight 6 auto. Plenty of
power to tow anything. Excellent gearbox, much better than European
ones. Biggest disadvantage on the Cherokee, probably the short rear seat
squab. Also with the transfer to RHD the pedals seemed to be slightly
off set to the right making it a bit uncomfortable won very long drives.
Can't remember exactly what MPG was - about 19 solo and about 14/15
towing on the Cherokee I think. Bit better on the Grand. When anyone
asked me that question I used to say that if they asked the question
they shouldn't buy one. You could of course get an LPG conversion - they
are pretty straight forward to do.
HTH
--
hugh
Old March 5th 04, 06:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Kevin

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:31:29 -0000, Peter H
wrote:

Greetings

I could do with changing tow-car soon: I have a 1989 Trooper TD at the
moment, and want to stay with 4wd whilst desperately needing more grunt!

The Jeeps seem to offer the best Bang per Buck, but what are they like
as a
tug? Can anyone who's actually used one give me some info. as to MPG and
practicality for towing, particularly the 4.0 ltr. Auto, as these seem
to be
the most commonly available?

TIA

Pete

Pete,
I have a '96 Grand Cherokee 2.5TD and this has served us well over the
last four years. We've taken it to France and Spain and have towed the
southern bit that involves the Central Massif and Pyrannees.

The 2.5TD has the same torque as a 4 litre petrol but you do lose a bit in
overall acceleration and speed...which does not affect towing. The only
problem that I have encountered is when towing in really hot weather the
engine gets very hot and I have to turn off the air con to allow the
engine to cool. I'm thinking of fitting an oil cooler this year that may
sort the problem.

Economically the 2.5TD is a lot kinder to the wallet. I get about 30mpg
out of town solo and 22mpg towing a large twin axle van.

Kevin

Old March 5th 04, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tonyg

"Peter H" wrote in message ...
Greetings

I could do with changing tow-car soon: I have a 1989 Trooper TD at the
moment, and want to stay with 4wd whilst desperately needing more grunt!

The Jeeps seem to offer the best Bang per Buck, but what are they like as a
tug? Can anyone who's actually used one give me some info. as to MPG and
practicality for towing, particularly the 4.0 ltr. Auto, as these seem to be
the most commonly available?

TIA

Pete

Been there, done that! Had a 4.0 Auto, 18MPG solo and about 12 towing
large twin axle 'van. Great tug if you can afford the fuel.

Rear seats have little leg-room (height between seat and floor very
limited!)

Boot space not a good as it looks, spare wheel doesn't help, but I
think the roof line seems to restrict loading.

Superb traffic-light racer, hot hatch types can be shown how its done!

Check rear suspension leaf springs, they tend to sag on the older
models.

Enjoy if you decide to get one.
Old March 5th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Peter H posted ...

Greetings

I could do with changing tow-car soon: I have a 1989 Trooper TD at the
moment, and want to stay with 4wd whilst desperately needing more
grunt!

The Jeeps seem to offer the best Bang per Buck, but what are they
like as a tug? Can anyone who's actually used one give me some info.
as to MPG and practicality for towing, particularly the 4.0 ltr.
Auto, as these seem to be the most commonly available?

Great tugs. Bro-in-law had a 'P' reg Cherokee Sport, then a 'proper'
Cherokee, and now has a newer '03' Grand Cherokee .. all extremely good
towing vehicles, if you can afford the fuel. Especially on long journeys or
if towing very large 'vans. They are also relatively limited in interior
space, especially rear seats and load area, but he adds a swing-away spare
wheel carrier, that mounts the spare outside, which improves it no end. An
oil cooler also helps longevity. Be wary of older vehicle Air conditioning
units, and Heater matrix's, they are prone to 'go' and can cost a fortune to
replace.

I think, and he does now after trying mine for a week, that the Landrover
Discovery is much better though ..

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Old March 5th 04, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian West

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
[...]

Better still a Toyota Landcruiser with 4ltr diesel TD
Bezalbub

Old March 5th 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Brian West posted ...

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
Peter H posted ...

The Jeeps seem to offer the best Bang per Buck, but what are they
like as a tug? Can anyone who's actually used one give me some info.
as to MPG and practicality for towing, particularly the 4.0 ltr.
Auto, as these seem to be the most commonly available?

I think, and he does now after trying mine for a week, that the
Landrover Discovery is much better though ..

Better still a Toyota Landcruiser with 4ltr diesel TD

But not if it's to be used off-road too .. they're a bit big, heavy and
expensive to _really_ have fun with ..

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Old March 5th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROGER MANLEY

I love my '98 4 litre. It is comfortable, a superb tug, the auto and cruise
control allows me to arrive relaxed after a heavy tow and a long journey. I
travel in this country and over long periods in France. I have now done
108,000.

However, expensive on fuel (down to 18/19 mpg when towing on French
Autoroutes). Expensive to maintain. Spare wheel storage is a pain.

I shall change to another Jeep but go for a diesel.

--
Roger

Old March 6th 04, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nello

Peter H, il 4-03-2004 21:31 ha scritto:

Can anyone who's actually used one give me some info. as to MPG and
practicality for towing, particularly the 4.0 ltr. Auto

Hi Pete,
I had a Grand Cherokee V8 4,7 limited towing a 1 ton caravan.
Jeep was very strong and confortable, but every trip was very expensive:
towing, Jeep did run 3 km with 1 gasoline litre.
Now I have ann Opel Frontera (seem as Vauxhall Frontera or Isuzu Rodeo) with
2,2 diesel engine, and my trips are a bit slower but really less
expensive...

Nello (Italy)

Old March 6th 04, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcycles
Steve Leyland

Peter H wrote:
: Greetings
:
: I could do with changing tow-car soon: I have a 1989 Trooper TD at the
: moment, and want to stay with 4wd whilst desperately needing more
: grunt!

I find that the old Kawasaki Z900 has plenty of power for towing my
caravan, with the added bonus that it can be wheeled inside for
safe-keeping at the destination.
I would however recommend keeping speed when towing down to below
90-95mph as a precaution against tankslappers/jackknifing.

HTH.

:
: The Jeeps seem to offer the best Bang per Buck, but what are they
: like as a tug? Can anyone who's actually used one give me some info.
: as to MPG and practicality for towing, particularly the 4.0 ltr.
: Auto, as these seem to be the most commonly available?
:
: TIA
:
: Pete

--
Steve Leyland
mhm32x16 Smeeter#24 WSD#41
flower: three 6 four 9 five 8 eight 9
Alcatroll Labs Inc (bongwater maintenance dept)
http://www.insurgent.org/~alcatroll/

=^MEOW MEOW ARMY^=

Sooner of later that which is now life shall be poetry, and every fair
and manly trait shall add a richer strain to the song. - Ralph Waldo
Emerson
FREE GIGABYTE! Gigabyte was arrested in her home town of Mechelen,
Belgium on February 14, 2004. Her government will probably make an
example out of her because of what she does. She's a VXer, a "coder".
For the lay person, she codes (writes) virii. That doesn't make her an
evil person. She's never released any of her projects into the wild. In
fact, there've been numerous times that she's submitted her virii to
several different AV (Anti-Virus) firms including, but not limited to
Symantec.. The makers of Norton Anti Virus. Since her arrest she's had
her computers confiscated pending the outcome of the investigation as
well as her web site being taken down :
http://3wd.no-ip.org/gigabyte.htm
"Warning to all: Steve Leyland is a trolling **** of the highest order.
Killfile the muppet now and move on. Even the briefest of searches on
his past UseNet posts will reveal the truth. You have been warned.
*plonk*"

bear, uk.rec.motorcycles
"This sig is an abomination of all that is good and right about usenet.
Do the entire world a favor and REMOVE YOURSELF FROM USENET ALTOGETHER,
DUMBASS."

miguel, soc.singles
"must you include your 75847548574893579345 gigabyte sig file in every
****ing post? You're very annoying."

projectile vomit chick, alt.music.ozzy
"I went to the Garden of Love,
And saw what I never had seen;
A Chapel was built in the midst,
Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut
And "Thou shalt not," writ over the door;
So I turned to the Garden of Love
That so many sweet flowers bore.

And I saw it was filled with graves,
And tombstones where flowers should be;
And priests in black gowns were walking their rounds,
And binding with briars my joys and desires."

William Blake.
"When the Earth has been ravaged and the animals are dying, a tribe of
people from all races, creeds and colours shall put their faith in
deeds, not words, and make the land green again. They shall be known as
Warriors of the Rainbow, protectors of the environment."

Native American prophecy

Meow