Cracked Window

Old March 5th 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve...

Default Cracked Window

Cleaning the van after a few days away in February I have noticed a small
crack in one of the front window, probably a stone chipping.
What I am wondering is whether it will get bigger in time like with glass or
will it stay the same & will the window be weakened by this crack & be at
risk of blowing in when towing?
I have not yet checked my caravan club insurance policy so am not sure if
its covered like you would expect with a motor insurance policy, anybody
advice.

Thanks
Steve...

Old March 5th 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MikeS

"Steve..." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Cleaning the van after a few days away in February I have noticed a small
crack in one of the front window, probably a stone chipping.
What I am wondering is whether it will get bigger in time like with glass

or
will it stay the same & will the window be weakened by this crack & be at
risk of blowing in when towing?
I have not yet checked my caravan club insurance policy so am not sure if
its covered like you would expect with a motor insurance policy, anybody
advice.

Thanks
Steve...

Steve,
Why not try super glue in the crack? If you are very carefully, apply some
in the crack capillary action will pull it into the crack if it is proud of
the surface when dry you can use metal polish to buff it up and it will
hardly be seen or noticed.
MikeS

Old March 5th 04, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:28:17 -0000, "Steve..."
wrote:

Cleaning the van after a few days away in February I have noticed a small
crack in one of the front window, probably a stone chipping.
What I am wondering is whether it will get bigger in time like with glass or
will it stay the same & will the window be weakened by this crack & be at
risk of blowing in when towing?

It is usually a case of wait and see. I found a small crack like that
in 1998 just after I bought my last caravan, when I traded it last
year the crack was still there and had not changed.

I have not yet checked my caravan club insurance policy so am not sure if
its covered like you would expect with a motor insurance policy, anybody
advice.

If you can say that it was damaged whilst you were travelling then
most insurance companies would replace it for you for whatever your
excess is. The CC certainly would.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old March 6th 04, 06:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:28:17 -0000, "Steve..." wrote:

| Cleaning the van after a few days away in February I have noticed a small
| crack in one of the front window, probably a stone chipping.
| What I am wondering is whether it will get bigger in time like with glass or
| will it stay the same & will the window be weakened by this crack & be at
| risk of blowing in when towing?
| I have not yet checked my caravan club insurance policy so am not sure if
| its covered like you would expect with a motor insurance policy, anybody
| advice.

If the window is plastic, drill a tiny hole at the end of each crack, to
stop it spreading. Be careful to drill only the cracked pane.

This was standard for aircraft skins when I was in the RAF, not sure if it
would be a good idea for supersonic caravans. ;-)

Dave F

Old March 6th 04, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T.

"MikeS" wrote in message

"Steve..." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]