Update on UK Chip and PIN??

Old April 1st 04, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alec

Default Update on UK Chip and PIN??

"John Bradbury" wrote in message
Has anyone any information as to whether the UK chipped cards are
accepted in France now. I am thinking especially of their use in
supermarkets and petrol stations

I know there was a problem because of swipe-only cards but has that been
sorted with the advent of the UK PIN cards?

I'm afraid the situation remains the same. The French system is incompatible
with new chip & pin being introduced here. They are supposed to be updating
theirs in near future, but little sign of that happening anytime soon.
Problems seem to be that in France card terminals are usually owned outright
by merchants and they don't want to fork out money when existing system
works well with their usual customers. And it will be a major operation for
their card issuers to change their system and issue new cards.

Alec

Old April 1st 04, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alun Jenkins

"Alec" wrote in message

"John Bradbury" wrote in message
Has anyone any information as to whether the UK chipped cards are
accepted in France now. I am thinking especially of their use in
supermarkets and petrol stations

Alec
I used my Cahoot debit in Feb. Mainfor petrol but also in several
supermarkets. each tine they used the pin which suprised me.
BTW it did work OK.
,.

Old April 1st 04, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alec

"Alun Jenkins" wrote in message news:[email protected]

"Alec" wrote in message

"John Bradbury" wrote in message
Has anyone any information as to whether the UK chipped cards are
accepted in France now. I am thinking especially of their use in
supermarkets and petrol stations

Alec
I used my Cahoot debit in Feb. Mainfor petrol but also in several
supermarkets. each tine they used the pin which suprised me.
BTW it did work OK.

Perhaps some terminals have been modified to accept both types of
smartcards, but you cannot expect that everywhere, esp in smaller shops or
restaurants (but then again they can still swipe the card). I wonder if you
can use UK card at automatic pumps in a rural mom&pop fuel station?

Alec

Alec

Old April 1st 04, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James

"Alec" wrote in message ...
"John Bradbury" wrote in message
Has anyone any information as to whether the UK chipped cards are
accepted in France now. I am thinking especially of their use in
supermarkets and petrol stations

I know there was a problem because of swipe-only cards but has that been
sorted with the advent of the UK PIN cards?

I'm afraid the situation remains the same. The French system is incompatible
with new chip & pin being introduced here. They are supposed to be updating
theirs in near future, but little sign of that happening anytime soon.
Problems seem to be that in France card terminals are usually owned outright
by merchants and they don't want to fork out money when existing system
works well with their usual customers. And it will be a major operation for
their card issuers to change their system and issue new cards.

Alec

Majority of French Cards are debit cards -- unlike the UK.
Accepting French chip cards is a problem here too. Some French chip
cards recently issued by the French are rejected in certain types of
UK terminals. The French I am led to believe are issuing both Visa
and MasterCard chip cards carrying two applications, an international
standard and a French only standard. Rejected cards can cause a fair
bit of delay a point of sale.

I wonder how the French will handle UK Chip & Signature Cards. This
type of card is rarely mentioned.

James