'91 Eldiss Typhoon XL falling apart

Old April 1st 04, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

Default '91 Eldiss Typhoon XL falling apart

Last year 2 small holes appeared about 5 cm from the edges, and about
10 cm up from the roof/back join. It seems the aluminium had
corroded, and the corner of a wooden strut was peeking out.

Am I understanding correctly? On my '91 Elddis the roof where you describe
is fibreglass, not aluminium.

It is definitely aluminium (or some alloy), with a resin/acrylic coating.

If it is fibreglass, I would guess friction from the wooden strut has worn

hole in the fibreglass roof.

No, it definitely corroded ... at first I thought it was bird s**t, but
started washing, and these holes (about 5-7mm in diameter) appeared. I guess
the fact they were symmetrical should have set off warning bells ....

Any repair would suffer the same damage if the wooden strut is not cut

back
to stop the rubbing.

true ...

Then, whilst washing it last weekend, I noticed the centre sealing
mastic was missing a chunk ... brief conversation with a local shop
suggests I will have to remove the centre aluminium strip (about 30
screws) clean off old sealant, and re-apply (it comes in a tube).

Anyone ever done this ? Any gotchas to watch out for ?

I've done it with the roof/front strip. Dead easy except for removing the
old mastic. Very time consuming.
Get some white spirit to clean off the residue.
I used "Sikaflex" (I think "221")

a friendly local repaier sold us some "Geocel", which is the mutts nuts
(apparently).

instead of the non-setting butyl mastic.
Obtained from a local caravan dealer for my repair a couple of years ago

it
has worked a treat.

Ideas gratefully received.

Thanks in advance