Bull Bars

Old April 1st 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Default Bull Bars

Sam Tana posted ...

Richard Murphy wrote:

off bike for a year.- but never recovers enough to cycle - or work -
properly.

There are reasons for using bull bars - you do serious offroading

I disagree .. I do serious off-roading and specifically won't put bull bars
on because they do no good whatsoever in UK terrain. We don't need to nudge
Buffalo's away, for instance, why do you think they are any good off-road ?

What Bull bars do is add weight to the front of the vehicle, lessen the
approach angle at which hills can be climbed and descended and effectively
lower the ground clearance at the front. They (some makes) might, possibly,
have marginal benefits for adding extra lights, but you could drill your
bumper for that, and for protecting steering, but in reality, if that's what
you need a proper light box and steering guard is generally much cheaper and
far, far better in performance ...

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Old April 1st 04, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Sam Tana posted ...

?

What Bull bars do is add weight to the front of the vehicle, lessen the
approach angle at which hills can be climbed and descended and effectively
lower the ground clearance at the front. They (some makes) might,

possibly,
have marginal benefits for adding extra lights, but you could drill your
bumper for that, and for protecting steering, but in reality, if that's

what
you need a proper light box and steering guard is generally much cheaper

and
far, far better in performance ...

Isn't it interesting that no-one has told the OP where he can get these
things?

The responses have been gratifyingly responsible, in my opinion.

Mary

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Old April 1st 04, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sam Tana

Paul - xxx wrote:

Sam Tana posted ...

There are reasons for using bull bars - you do serious offroading

I disagree .. I do serious off-roading and specifically won't put bull bars
on because they do no good whatsoever in UK terrain. We don't need to nudge
Buffalo's away, for instance, why do you think they are any good off-road ?

They *can* be some use for pushing back vegetation and avoiding contact
with large rocks etc, but as you say, you don't need them and they add
weight.

Old April 1st 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Paul - xxx
writes
Sam Tana posted ...

Richard Murphy wrote:

off bike for a year.- but never recovers enough to cycle - or work -
properly.

There are reasons for using bull bars - you do serious offroading

I disagree .. I do serious off-roading and specifically won't put bull bars
on because they do no good whatsoever in UK terrain. We don't need to nudge
Buffalo's away, for instance, why do you think they are any good off-road ?

What Bull bars do is add weight to the front of the vehicle, lessen the
approach angle at which hills can be climbed and descended and effectively
lower the ground clearance at the front.

They are fitted above bumper level on LR and have no effect on the
factors you mention.
They (some makes) might, possibly,
have marginal benefits for adding extra lights, but you could drill your
bumper for that, and for protecting steering, but in reality, if that's what
you need a proper light box and steering guard is generally much cheaper and
far, far better in performance ...

As per previous comment they are typically nowhere near the steering on
the most popular vehicle for serious off roading - the Land Rover. Are
you perhaps commenting on many seen on 4x4's for decorative purposes?

Some other points

Most bull bars are now made of plastic

I agree they are pointless on motorhomes and any other vehicle other
than for functional purposes. i.e. protecting the wings of the vehicle
from vegetation, rocks etc.

A small consolation for you, they often cause more damage to the host
vehicle than they avoid, especially when they get bent.

I have seen far more dangerous equipment on the front of vehicles - a
bicycle mounted across the front of a motorhome, a pump mounted on the
front of a transit van belonging to a drain clearing company.

Finally, I'm now on my 3rd Land rover - and I have never fitted a
bullbar!!

--
hugh
Old April 1st 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TP

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

Isn't it interesting that no-one has told the OP where he can get these
things?

The responses have been gratifyingly responsible, in my opinion.

I'm surprised no-one has told him where he should stick them.

;-)

Old April 2nd 04, 05:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:02:05 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

| I agree they are pointless on motorhomes and any other vehicle other
| than for functional purposes. i.e. protecting the wings of the vehicle
| from vegetation, rocks etc.

Front Parking sensors will be effective for this purpose.
http://www.parking-sensor.co.uk/order/2880v.htm
Other makes are available.

Dave F