Laptop mount for Classic Rangie.

Old April 1st 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

Default Laptop mount for Classic Rangie.

In article ,
wrote

Thanks to all those who gave suggestions, the laptop mount is now completed
including liberated knobs and stickyback velcro. )

[snip]

Very clever - wonder if this qualifies as being worse
than using a mobile??

Memorising travel details is less expensive.

Old April 1st 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
wrote

Thanks to all those who gave suggestions, the laptop mount is now

completed
including liberated knobs and stickyback velcro. )

[snip]

Very clever - wonder if this qualifies as being worse
than using a mobile??

Memorising travel details is less expensive.

Having just got back from a 400 mile round trip today I can say that once
the route was put in I didn't need to touch the system once, or look at it.
The Laptop is positioned such to afford easy access whilst stationary and
nothing more. If having a female voice quote " In 100 metres at the
roundabout take the third exit" is such a distraction then mayby you should
try and pass a bill banning female passengers... then again, the system
works... where as my normal passenger and myself would have been off route
several times and I am I hasten to add a good navigator . As this trip was
conducted with a heavily laden trailer then sudden lane changes should
surely be avoided and as such doesn't this promote road saftey ?

But you do have a point, in those wasted hours in future spent on the toilet
I will revise all routes of places I've never been, come to think of it I'll
also memorise the yellow pages too so that should be equally as achieveable,
but none the less cheaper than calling 118 118.

Lee D

Old April 2nd 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article [email protected],
wrote

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
wrote

Thanks to all those who gave suggestions, the laptop mount is now

completed
including liberated knobs and stickyback velcro. )

[snip]

Very clever - wonder if this qualifies as being worse
than using a mobile??

Memorising travel details is less expensive.

Having just got back from a 400 mile round trip today I can say that once
the route was put in I didn't need to touch the system once, or look at it.

As I suspected.

PPPPPPP - pror preparation and planning prevent **** poor performance.

But you do have a point, in those wasted hours in future spent on the toilet
I will revise all routes of places I've never been, come to think of it I'll
also memorise the yellow pages too so that should be equally as achieveable,
but none the less cheaper than calling 118 118.
Lee D

Reinventing the wheel seems to be your forte.

Old April 2nd 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:57:42 +0100, "Lee_D"
oat.co.uk wrote:

| Memorising travel details is less expensive.
|
| Having just got back from a 400 mile round trip today I can say that once
| the route was put in I didn't need to touch the system once, or look at it.

My system, June with a Philips Navigator 1:100,000 map on her lap, is much
cheaper. When in the country, she can change to an OS Explorer 1:25,000
map. Besides telling me where to go, she can answer questions, like
"what is that over there?" Also when in a traffic jam, she can plan and
execute instant diversions.

Dave F

Old April 2nd 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

In ,
Dave Fawthrop fumbled, fiddled and
fingered:
oat.co.uk wrote:

Memorising travel details is less expensive.

Having just got back from a 400 mile round trip today I can say that
once the route was put in I didn't need to touch the system once, or
look at it.

My system, June with a Philips Navigator 1:100,000 map on her lap, is
much cheaper. When in the country, she can change to an OS
Explorer 1:25,000 map. Besides telling me where to go, she can
answer questions, like "what is that over there?" Also when in a
traffic jam, she can plan and execute instant diversions.

I had one like that once, trouble was it also acted as a speed governor
too [1] ... so it had to be disconnected ;o)

[1] constant whining "You're going too fast"

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

K100RS SE
F650
(not forgetting the SK90PY)

Old April 2nd 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:44:13 +0100, "Steve Parry"
wrote:

| In ,
| Dave Fawthrop fumbled, fiddled and
| fingered:
| On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:57:42 +0100, "Lee_D"
| oat.co.uk wrote:
|

| Memorising travel details is less expensive.
|
| Having just got back from a 400 mile round trip today I can say that
| once the route was put in I didn't need to touch the system once, or
| look at it.
|
| My system, June with a Philips Navigator 1:100,000 map on her lap, is
| much cheaper. When in the country, she can change to an OS
| Explorer 1:25,000 map. Besides telling me where to go, she can
| answer questions, like "what is that over there?" Also when in a
| traffic jam, she can plan and execute instant diversions.
|

| I had one like that once, trouble was it also acted as a speed governor
| too [1] ... so it had to be disconnected ;o)
|
| [1] constant whining "You're going too fast"

No problem that way with June.
Mind you with all these speed cameras around I have given up going too
fast. On one of our local roads they are saving lives.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/3010503.stm

In Thornton Road in Bradford, four people were killed and 29 hurt in just
12 months before cameras were put up.

In 2002, after their installation, there were only four crashes causing 12
slight injuries.

So they are worth a little inconveniance and delay.

Dave F

Old April 2nd 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

oat.co.uk wrote:

[...]

I don't have a prob with the "little inconveniance and delay" ... its
the 3 points and 60 quid fine if you happen to "just" be over the limit.

Also given that they quote between 10 to 20% of fatal accidents are
speed related that still means there are between 90 to 80% that have
nowt to do with speed! Makes you realise how they're focusing on an easy
cash cow uh?

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

K100RS SE
F650
(not forgetting the SK90PY)

Old April 2nd 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:24:51 +0100, "Steve Parry"
wrote:

| In ,
| Dave Fawthrop fumbled, fiddled and
| fingered:
| On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:44:13 +0100, "Steve Parry"
| wrote:
|
| In ,
| Dave Fawthrop fumbled, fiddled and
| fingered:
| On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:57:42 +0100, "Lee_D"
| oat.co.uk wrote:
|

| Memorising travel details is less expensive.
|
| Having just got back from a 400 mile round trip today I can say
| that once the route was put in I didn't need to touch the system
| once, or look at it.
|
| My system, June with a Philips Navigator 1:100,000 map on her lap,
| is much cheaper. When in the country, she can change to an OS
| Explorer 1:25,000 map. Besides telling me where to go, she can
| answer questions, like "what is that over there?" Also when in a
| traffic jam, she can plan and execute instant diversions.
|

| I had one like that once, trouble was it also acted as a speed
| governor too [1] ... so it had to be disconnected ;o)
|
| [1] constant whining "You're going too fast"
|
| No problem that way with June.
| Mind you with all these speed cameras around I have given up going too
| fast. On one of our local roads they are saving lives.
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/3010503.stm
|
| In Thornton Road in Bradford, four people were killed and 29 hurt in
| just 12 months before cameras were put up.
|
| In 2002, after their installation, there were only four crashes
| causing 12 slight injuries.
|
| So they are worth a little inconveniance and delay.

| I don't have a prob with the "little inconveniance and delay" ... its
| the 3 points and 60 quid fine if you happen to "just" be over the limit.

Then stay *just* below the limit, or whatever lower speed you concider
reasonable.

| Also given that they quote between 10 to 20% of fatal accidents are
| speed related that still means there are between 90 to 80% that have
| nowt to do with speed! Makes you realise how they're focusing on an easy
| cash cow uh?

They will not get a penny from me. :-) Unless I make a mistake.
I am more interested in the 3 points than the GBP60.

Dave F

Old April 2nd 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

wrote:

[...]

Well thats the rub .. on certain sections of empty, unpopulated roads,
at particular times of day it is often safe to travel in excess of the
speed limit so I "concider reasonable" a different speed to perhaps a
police officer or a scamera.

Also given that they quote between 10 to 20% of fatal accidents are
speed related that still means there are between 90 to 80% that have
nowt to do with speed! Makes you realise how they're focusing on an
easy cash cow uh?

They will not get a penny from me. :-) Unless I make a mistake.
I am more interested in the 3 points than the GBP60.

That's the whole point .... if anyone can state they have never ever ...
not even a little bit ... ever broken a speed limit then they'd have to
be lying. We've all done it ... however small an amount ... and yet
there are road users all over the country twitchy and nervous but
theiving/mugging scrotes laughing at the lack of poling they're
recieving.

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

K100RS SE
F650
(not forgetting the SK90PY)

Old April 2nd 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:54:37 +0100, "Steve Parry"
wrote:

| Well thats the rub .. on certain sections of empty, unpopulated roads,
| at particular times of day it is often safe to travel in excess of the
| speed limit so I "concider reasonable" a different speed to perhaps a
| police officer or a scamera.

If you, as I have, when travelling on an emptyish road at 20-30mph, in a 30
limit, had two small boys sitting on a skateboard, appear travelling at one
hell of a lick, from a blind, *very* steep 1:7 side road, and had no choice
but to hit them, your attitude might be different. Had I been doing 40,
they would probably have been dead. As it was they spent a night in
hospital.

Speed limit signs, and street lights, are there for a reason.

Dave F