I need advice on buying a VW Camper Van

Old July 4th 03, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T P

Default I need advice on buying a VW Camper Van

"frank" wrote:
Sorry to be ignorant, but which one is a T25? I only ask because the older
vans - wasnt it called a 21 window or something - are stunners

There have been four variants of the VW Transporter family and a fifth
is just about to be released.

The original Type 2 (the Beetle was the Type 1) was the delightful
split screen van, various models of which were described by the number
of windows - up to a maximum of 23! This was made until 1967.

In 1968, the second version of the Type 2 was introduced, with a large
curved one-piece windscreen. This is known as the "Bay Window".

In 1979, the third version was announced. It had a modern look to it,
straight lines rather than curves, with a near-flat steeply raked
windscreen. This has been variously called a "Wedge" and a "Brick" -
plus many rather more derogatory names from disgruntled owners (!).

In 1991, the fourth version with front wheel drive replaced the Wedge,
and this is now being replaced by the fifth version.

There has long been confusion in what these various models should be
called. In Germany, the Wedge is known variously as the Type 3
(erroneously, because the real Type 3 was a VW saloon car somewhat
larger than a Beetle) or the Typ 2/T3. In the UK it is known as the
Type 25, because all the official VW model numbers start with 25. The
1991-2003 model is universally called the T4, except in American and
South African markets where it is called the Eurovan. The newly
announced replacement is called the T5.

So the Type 25 is the squarish Wedge/Brick-shaped Transporter made
from 1979 to 1991, still with a rear engine.

At first the engines were air-cooled, being developed from the Type 4
engines also used in some versions of the Bay Window Transporters -
Type 4 being another rear-engined VW saloon car even bigger than the
Type 3 (confusing, isn't it!).

Then the water-cooled Diesel version was introduced in 1982, using the
1.6 engine from the Golf/Passat. Next was the highly problematic
water-cooled 1.9 WBX ("wasserboxer") which was later available in a
far better 2.1 version with fuel injection. Finally came the 1.6
turbo Diesel with 70 bhp - not much, but the low down torque is
fantastic, making this one of the most pleasant to drive together with
the 2.1 injection which is very sprightly but drinks a lot of fuel.

I hope that is useful.

Tony
Old July 4th 03, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T P

T P wrote:

Then the water-cooled Diesel version was introduced in 1982, using the
1.6 engine from the Golf/Passat. Next was the highly problematic
water-cooled 1.9 WBX ("wasserboxer") which was later available in a
far better 2.1 version with fuel injection. Finally came the 1.6
turbo Diesel with 70 bhp - not much, but the low down torque is
fantastic, making this one of the most pleasant to drive together with
the 2.1 injection which is very sprightly but drinks a lot of fuel.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that the 1.9 and 2.1i WBX engines
are both *petrol* engines.

Old July 4th 03, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Edwards

Tony,
You sound as if you know what you are talking about - at least with VWs
anyway :-)

Could you possibly give me some advice please? I posted the following
message on uk.rec.motorcaravans a week or so ago and had just one reply.
Couldn't understand it - anyway can you help me with this?

"A friend of mine has 10,000 to spend and wants to buy a used VW motor
caravan. Can anyone please recommend any of the conversion companies as
being particularly good? Or is a matter of personal preference for
layout,
accommodation etc.

He has looked at one locally which was a 'P' reg (no idea which
conversion
it was) but the mileage was very high. Can he do better than this?"

Thanks
Bob