Living in a Motor Home

Old June 26th 04, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Default Living in a Motor Home

Hello, I have a book in my head and want to write it while travelling
around the country (and maybe Europe) in a Motor Home. The lease is
up on my flat soon and it seemed that the time was right.

However, I have run up against the beaurocrates who say I must
register the vehicle at a "proper" address or "C/O" an adress where
someone has agreed for me to do so. They will not accept an
Accomodation Address (where I will have paid for a service and the
provider is under an obligation to forward my mail) but will accept
some guy I met in a pub who says it's OK to use his place (I may never
recieve a thing).

I have no family and my acquaintances are casual. Any suggestions
would be greatfully received.
Old June 26th 04, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy Clarke

On 25 Jun 2004 18:29:50 -0700, John wrote:

Hello, I have a book in my head and want to write it while travelling
around the country (and maybe Europe) in a Motor Home. The lease is
up on my flat soon and it seemed that the time was right.

However, I have run up against the beaurocrates who say I must
register the vehicle at a "proper" address or "C/O" an adress where
someone has agreed for me to do so. They will not accept an
Accomodation Address (where I will have paid for a service and the
provider is under an obligation to forward my mail) but will accept
some guy I met in a pub who says it's OK to use his place (I may never
recieve a thing).

I have no family and my acquaintances are casual. Any suggestions
would be greatfully received.

This question has come up on the Yahoo group for full time and long term
motorhome travellers.

The answer obtained from the DVLA last year was:

"I can confirm that we must be advised of an address where you may be
contacted by this Agency.

This may take the form of a c/o friend, relative, bank or solicitor."

It seems to me that the only requirement of the DVLA is that they have an
address for contacting you. I don't see why you can't give them an
accommodation address.

They do state that individuals cannot give a PO box address, but it seems
that companies can. If you are writing a book I assume you will be self
employed, you might be able to give yourself a company name, suitably
registered with your bank and the Inland Revenue. The DVLA should then
accept a PO box address. The only problem with that might be your
insurers who could possibly consider that your motorhome is being used
for business purposes...

--
Andy Clarke

The Motorhome List - an email discussion forum for motorhome users
http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk

Motorhome Living - an email discussion forum for long term motorhome living