Touring Scotland??

Old June 26th 04, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Default Touring Scotland??

Hi again,
We intend spending a couple of weeks or so travelling up the West coast of
Scotland up to the north, then follow our noses back down home, here to west
Wales.
I was wondering how useful/desirable/essential membership of the cc or ccc
would be?
Yesterday for example we took a trip up to Dolgellau and Cader Idris, and
the site we took a look at there, was 'Members Only'. (CC)
I would appreciate peoples views/advice please.
Regards,
Steve

Old June 26th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken Fraser

"stephent" wrote in message
Hi again,
We intend spending a couple of weeks or so travelling up the West coast of
Scotland up to the north, then follow our noses back down home, here to

west
Wales.
I was wondering how useful/desirable/essential membership of the cc or ccc
would be?
Yesterday for example we took a trip up to Dolgellau and Cader Idris, and
the site we took a look at there, was 'Members Only'. (CC)
I would appreciate peoples views/advice please.
Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve
we are new to caranning and the first thing we did on a recommendation was
to join the CC. Depends what you want - we enjoy the relative peace and
orderliness of their sites and the large pitches which, from what we've seen
so far, seem to be standard - even down to thetoilets being closed at
11:15am for cleaning!
We have just been to Scotland - we drove from home (Northampton) to Arrochar
in one go (northern end of Loch Lomond on the edge of Loch Long). Pretty
setting, but see other posts - beware the midges!
We then went onto Morvich. This was an even better setting, surrounded by
mountains (The Five Sisters?). The down-side was that there was quite a bit
of low cloud at ground level!
We did go accross to Brora on the North East coast for a few days. Another
great site, very near the long, beautiful beach and we were lucky enough to
see Arctic terns, which had arrived that week, and seals at Doll beach, a
couple of miles away.
We broke our return journey just for one night in the northern part of The
Lakes at Troutbeck Head - as it rained as well as being a short stop, we
only had a walk around the site - this was the biggest CC one we have seen.
Hope this rambling helps a little!
Ken

Old June 26th 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
SkodaMan

I've been a member of the Caravan Club for many years now and find that
their sites are all of a good, if not high standard. For this reason alone,
I personally feel membership is worthwhile. There is also the option of
using the huge number of CLs available to CC members.

Old June 26th 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , stephent
writes
Hi again,
We intend spending a couple of weeks or so travelling up the West coast of
Scotland up to the north, then follow our noses back down home, here to west
Wales.
I was wondering how useful/desirable/essential membership of the cc or ccc
would be?
Yesterday for example we took a trip up to Dolgellau and Cader Idris, and
the site we took a look at there, was 'Members Only'. (CC)
I would appreciate peoples views/advice please.
Regards,
Steve

Useful? CC have a network of sites from CLs (Certified Locations) up to
large sites with full facilities. These are all to a good standard, well
above commercial site IME.
Desirable? Personal choice. I would say yes, but being a member I would
say that. It makes finding good sites that much more predictable. CC are
also good for insurance esp twin axles and I find the magazine quite
interesting.
Essential? No. There are other sources of information on sites.
Presumably you will be making other trips otherwise it's a bit expensive
just for a couple of weeks.
--
hugh
Old June 26th 04, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"stephent" wrote in message
Hi again,
We intend spending a couple of weeks or so travelling up the West coast of
Scotland up to the north, then follow our noses back down home, here to

west
Wales.
I was wondering how useful/desirable/essential membership of the cc or ccc
would be?
Yesterday for example we took a trip up to Dolgellau and Cader Idris, and
the site we took a look at there, was 'Members Only'. (CC)
I would appreciate peoples views/advice please.
Regards,
Steve

We have been CC for years and years and just this year joined CCC in order
to save money on their sites in Scotland. We went to Inverness via the
Lakes and Braemar and back via Oban and the Lakes again this last May. We
used both CC and CCC sites, on average the CCC was cheaper and just as good.
The latter is also a bit less stuffy about parking the van exactly so so
etc.

Old June 26th 04, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TP

"Jim" wrote:

We
used both CC and CCC sites, on average the CCC was cheaper and just as good.
The latter is also a bit less stuffy about parking the van exactly so so
etc.

CCC are just less stuffy. Period.

Old June 26th 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

In 15 years with the CC, from St Agnes to Wick, I have never been told off
for parking my 'van where I want to (although I only take up one pitch!)

Mike (B)

Old June 26th 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:59:07 +0100, TP wrote:

"Jim" wrote:

We
used both CC and CCC sites, on average the CCC was cheaper and just as good.
The latter is also a bit less stuffy about parking the van exactly so so
etc.

CCC are just less stuffy. Period.

In 12 years with the CC I never had a single comment about how the van
was parked but I joined the CCC last year and had comments about vans
with wrong sided doors, wardens ( Holiday site managers) moving the
front of my vans hitch a foot to the left because he didn't think it
was parked neatly enough, I was directed exactly where I had to pitch
it each time so sorry for me the CC is much less stuffy.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old June 27th 04, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken Fraser

"Mike" wrote in message
In 15 years with the CC, from St Agnes to Wick, I have never been told off
for parking my 'van where I want to (although I only take up one pitch!)

Mike (B)

Mike
have you been to Hebden Bridge? We were asked nicely to ensure that we
parked square on and in the middle of the hardstanding to match everyone
else. Haven't seen this at the other CC sites we have used.
Ken

Old June 27th 04, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Thank you all for your useful input, I appreciate it.
We shall definitely join one, if not both.
Regards,
Steve.