spare wheel carrier

Old June 28th 04, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Glenn Clark

Default spare wheel carrier

Hi all

Can anyone suggest a spare wheel carrier and a supplier that will fit a 92
Lunar Jupiter, getting fed up of moving it in and out of the van when we use
it

Thanks

Glenn

Old June 28th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:04:59 +0100, "Glenn Clark"
wrote:

Hi all

Can anyone suggest a spare wheel carrier and a supplier that will fit a 92
Lunar Jupiter, getting fed up of moving it in and out of the van when we use
it

Thanks

Glenn

I used to have a Jupiter there was a place for the spare in the front
locker.

Lenny
Old June 28th 04, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Glenn

I can't seem to fit the wheel in there and I would like to put it underneath
as it puts less weight on the nose

Old June 28th 04, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

Hi all

Can anyone suggest a spare wheel carrier and a supplier that will fit a 92
Lunar Jupiter, getting fed up of moving it in and out of the van when we use
it

Try telephoning 01617282946 this firm has advertised in the CC
magazine for many years, they supply a spare wheel carrier that is
much cheaper than the equivalent Alko carrier. My brother has one and
he seems pleased with it. If you talk to them they will tell you how
to fit it to your van. The cost is 33.50 +4 P&P.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old June 29th 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

If the Jupiter is like the Clubman then I would not advise carrying the spare in
the in the front locker whilst towing. It's a matter of weight distribution.

Cheers, Peter.

"Lenny" wrote in message
: On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:04:59 +0100, "Glenn Clark"
: wrote:
:
: Hi all
:

Old June 29th 04, 05:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Richards

Try telephoning 01617282946 this firm has advertised in the CC
magazine for many years, they supply a spare wheel carrier that is

I used to have one of those carriers on a van I had, the chassis has
to be drilled for fitting, warranties could be affected. You must
grease the thing regularly and it can be the devil of a job to
actually use, i.e get the spare off, but they do the job.

--
John Richards M41
Old June 29th 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:01:01 +0100, "Glenn"
wrote:

I can't seem to fit the wheel in there and I would like to put it underneath
as it puts less weight on the nose

Mine was an 89 model & it had a moulded place for it in the locker.
I tried distributing the weight & got the nose weight down to the max
recommended (160 lbs/73kg I think), got a horrible sway at 70mph on
the autoroute, threw everything back in the front locker & never towed
it again with less than 100 kg of nose weight.
Thank goodness I've now got a German van that tows perfectly with a
nose weight of 25 kg.

Lenny
Old June 30th 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Murphy

If it has an al-ko chassis, al-ko make one, available from almost any
dealer. It slings under the caravan, just behind the axle i.e.
almost central, which is where you want the weight. The chassis already has
the holes in it (see www.alko.co.uk or
www.towsure.co.uk ).

Failing that look in the ads at the back of any caravan mag

But you might have to be a bit careful of clearance if you have wider tyres.