Trying out caravanning

Old June 28th 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

Default Trying out caravanning

I'm thinking of booking a 6 berth caravan next summer (2005). Despite doing
some reading around, I still have some questions.

a) Does it matter than I only have single electrics on the vehicle? I'll be
going to sites with electric hookups. From what I can tell, it would just
mean I get no fridge when driving. I can live with that, but are there any
other problems?

b) Do I need extension mirrors? I'm driving a Peugeot Boxer minibus. It is
2024mm wide, excluding mirrors. I'd guess those are about 25cm further on
each side, but don't have the specs to hand.

c) How often do you need to empty the toilet? Having children and several
women with public toilet phobias, we would be using it frequently. Is it a
disgusting job, or OK? Do the chemicals cost a bomb? Do you always use the
flush, or only after a number 2?

Christian.

Old June 28th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
SkodaMan

Answering your questions in order:

a) As far as I know, you do not need twin electrics. I haven't always had
twin and have not experienced any problems. You cant have the fridge on en
route but this is not a major problem.

b) It is always wise to have towing mirrors unless you are absolutely sure
the mirrors on the Boxer are at such a point that you have a clear view down
each side of the 'van.

c) It sounds as if you will be emptying the loo at least once a day! Not an
onerous chore. The chemicals are not cheap but neither do they cost a bomb.
As for flushing, depends on whats going down! If paper is used you will
probably find a flush is necessary, but in any case a quick flush can
freshen the bowl especially if you are using a flushing fluid in the water.

t...

Old June 28th 04, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:22:11 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I'm thinking of booking a 6 berth caravan next summer (2005). Despite doing
some reading around, I still have some questions.

a) Does it matter than I only have single electrics on the vehicle? I'll be
going to sites with electric hookups. From what I can tell, it would just
mean I get no fridge when driving. I can live with that, but are there any
other problems?

Single electrics will only give you road lights only, no Battery
charging or fridge running when towing OK for short journeys, also no
reversing lights if the van has them (pretty useless on a van) .
In your case it will be fine.

b) Do I need extension mirrors? I'm driving a Peugeot Boxer minibus. It is
2024mm wide, excluding mirrors. I'd guess those are about 25cm further on
each side, but don't have the specs to hand.

Legal requirement for offside.

c) How often do you need to empty the toilet? Having children and several
women with public toilet phobias, we would be using it frequently. Is it a
disgusting job, or OK? Do the chemicals cost a bomb? Do you always use the
flush, or only after a number 2?

With a family of 4 probably need to empty every 2 days.
Chemicals aren't cheap but won't break the bank.
Emptying not that bad a job.
Should always flush after use or it will get a bit smelly.

Lenny

Old June 28th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:27:23 +0100, Lenny wrote:

Legal requirement for offside.

The only legal requirement is a clear rearwards view. How you achieve this is
up to you. It could be by through vision or a reasonably wide vehicle, like
the one in question or a 4X4

Old June 28th 04, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

I'm thinking of booking a 6 berth caravan next summer (2005). Despite doing
some reading around, I still have some questions.

a) Does it matter than I only have single electrics on the vehicle? I'll be
going to sites with electric hookups. From what I can tell, it would just
mean I get no fridge when driving. I can live with that, but are there any
other problems?

Not a problem. But you will have to find somewhere to put the S Plug
so that it will not drag on the floor.

b) Do I need extension mirrors? I'm driving a Peugeot Boxer minibus. It is
2024mm wide, excluding mirrors. I'd guess those are about 25cm further on
each side, but don't have the specs to hand.

Max permissable caravan width in the Uk is 2300mm so you van's mirrors
are unlikely to reach out beyond the side of the caravan so that
mirros would be needed.

c) How often do you need to empty the toilet? Having children and several
women with public toilet phobias, we would be using it frequently. Is it a
disgusting job, or OK? Do the chemicals cost a bomb? Do you always use the
flush, or only after a number 2?

It depends upon how often it is used, For two of us, neither of whom
can be bothered trailing off to the toilet block, it usually lasts
just short of a couple of days. A 2 Litre bottle of Blue Diamond
chemical costs about 6 and you use about 100ml per fill, though if
you were changing it more often you could reduce this down to about
60ml a fill. The flush is just to keep the bowl clean and only adds a
small quantity of water each time, so it is worth flushing every time.
Emptying the loo is a doddle and not at all unpleasant, the effluent
does not smell because of the chemicals and disappears down the
emptying point at an impressive rate of knots. It's just one of those
jobs you have to do.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old June 28th 04, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

b) Do I need extension mirrors? I'm driving a Peugeot Boxer minibus. It is
2024mm wide, excluding mirrors. I'd guess those are about 25cm further on
each side, but don't have the specs to hand.

Legal requirement for offside.

The requirement is a mirror that gives vision down the side of the
van, you may find that the vans morrors gove some vision which would
be enough to keep you legal, but an extension mirror is always a good
idea.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old June 30th 04, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

Not a problem. But you will have to find somewhere to put the S Plug
so that it will not drag on the floor.

That's OK then. OTOH, if I get bored one day, I might rewire. Would it be
worth fitting a 13 pin socket instead of the old 2 socket arrangement, or
does noone support that plug yet?

b) Do I need extension mirrors? I'm driving a Peugeot Boxer minibus. It

is
2024mm wide, excluding mirrors. I'd guess those are about 25cm further on
each side, but don't have the specs to hand.

Max permissable caravan width in the Uk is 2300mm so you van's mirrors
are unlikely to reach out beyond the side of the caravan so that
mirros would be needed.

Well, the width with mirrors would be about 2450mm, which is larger than
2300mm. Is that enough, or do I still need an additional mirror? As you can
imagine, I want to avoid buying too much equipment for a simple trying out
where it might not work out.

It depends upon how often it is used, For two of us, neither of whom
can be bothered trailing off to the toilet block, it usually lasts
just short of a couple of days. A 2 Litre bottle of Blue Diamond
chemical costs about 6 and you use about 100ml per fill,

So one bottle should be fine for well over a week even using the caravan
toilet exclusively. That sounds perfectly OK.

Christian.

Old June 30th 04, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Christian McArdle wrote:

It depends upon how often it is used, For two of us, neither of whom
can be bothered trailing off to the toilet block, it usually lasts
just short of a couple of days. A 2 Litre bottle of Blue Diamond
chemical costs about 6 and you use about 100ml per fill,

So one bottle should be fine for well over a week even using the
caravan toilet exclusively. That sounds perfectly OK.

Christian.

I assume you'll be using a cassette toilet - where the receptacle is easily
removed for emptying through a small trapdoor in the side of the caravan.
You put a small quantity of clean water plus a dose of toilet fluid in the
cassette after emptying it each time.

You also need flushing fluid - which goes into the flush tank along with a
lot of water. One small bottle will do about 4 fills of 15 litres of water.
Flushing is not like a conventional toilet - it only flushes for as long as
you press the flush button. You can make the flushing reservoir last a long
time by using the minimum amount required to wash things down and freshen
the bowl.

On many cassette toilets, the flush button is incorporated into the knob
which has to be rotated to open the blade which separates the bowl from the
receptacle below. There will be a lot less flushing required if you open the
blade prior to each use - so that your 'output' goes straight into the
receptacle.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old June 30th 04, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony

Hitch Lock wrote:
I assume you'll be using a cassette toilet - where the receptacle is
easily removed for emptying through a small trapdoor in the side of
the caravan. You put a small quantity of clean water plus a dose of
toilet fluid in the cassette after emptying it each time.

You also need flushing fluid - which goes into the flush tank along
with a lot of water. One small bottle will do about 4 fills of 15
litres of water. Flushing is not like a conventional toilet - it only
flushes for as long as you press the flush button. You can make the
flushing reservoir last a long time by using the minimum amount
required to wash things down and freshen the bowl.

My flusher water comes directly from the fresh tank. I have no option to
add flush fluid and to be honest never noticed any detriment in performance
because of it.

Tony

Old June 30th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr WZ Boson

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message et...
[...]

If you go to France, towing mirrors are "recommended" (whether or not
they're actually useful)

Empty the bog as often as you like - but remember to account for the
weight of a full tank of wee when going from site to site - "a pint of
water weighs a pound and a quarter" - or 1l=1kg (so much easier).

Go for it!