12v Cool Box

Old June 30th 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Frank Smith

Default 12v Cool Box

I have recently bought a GioStyle Supertrippy 12 volt coolbox for our
holiday to France. It came recommended by Which? who said that it was 'head
and shoulders' above the others they tested. It cost 30 from Asda
Superstore at Minworth. (I had the last one). Apart from running it in the
car I thought I could run it off one of those 12v power stations but it
flattened the battery very quickly so I phone up 'GioStyle' who wanted 30
for a 240v to 12v transformer, as much as the coolbox cost. I popped down
to Halfords and saw that they had one reduced by a third to 16.99.

According to Which? they also sell the coolbox at that price at
Wilkinsons.

Frank

Old June 30th 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Frank Smith wrote:
I have recently bought a GioStyle Supertrippy 12 volt coolbox for our
holiday to France. It came recommended by Which? who said that it was 'head
and shoulders' above the others they tested. It cost 30 from Asda
Superstore at Minworth. (I had the last one). Apart from running it in the
car I thought I could run it off one of those 12v power stations but it
flattened the battery very quickly so I phone up 'GioStyle' who wanted 30
for a 240v to 12v transformer, as much as the coolbox cost. I popped down
to Halfords and saw that they had one reduced by a third to 16.99.

According to Which? they also sell the coolbox at that price at
Wilkinsons.

Frank

There coolboxes use a fan and the motor does take a fair bit of juice.

I have an Igloo box myself and if you reverse the cable (which is
marked) it works as a hotbox and you can keep food warm in it.
Old June 30th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Steve" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Frank Smith wrote:
[...]

the fan motor would pull the least amount of power in a peltier coolbox
design.. the peltier element pulls 4 to 8 amps.. depending on it's size, a
little fan motor half an amp at hte most,

all these electric coolboxes can be run as warmers.. just some dont provide
such an easy way to do it.. when power flows one way through the peltier
element, it gets hot on one side, and cold on the other, apply power the
oposite way around, and it'll be hot on the oposite side.. which is inside
the coolbox, hence it's now a warmer.

Old June 30th 04, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DC

Try a 5 amp CB power supply

I've run a cheap 12v 71/2 amp power supply with the exact same box for the last 3
years

Its very good for keeping the booze cool

Cheers

DeeSee