Caravanning newbie - Elddis Avante 505

Old June 30th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Simpson

Default Caravanning newbie - Elddis Avante 505

Hi there,

Although we have not made a purchase yet we are looking to buy a 2004 Elddis
Avante 505. Do any of you out there have one of these?. If so excluding
people towing it with a 4X4, what car are you towing it with?. The reason I
ask is that I am about to change my car and want to pick a car that is
comfortable towing this caravan. Also do any of you have any opinions or
problems with this caravan.

Many thanks for your help.

Andrew.

Old June 30th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
SkodaMan

As you describe yourself as a 'carvanning newbie' the general advice is to
keep the maximum weight of the caravan around 85% of the kerb weight of the
tow car. In addition, the maximum weight of the caravan (or MTPLM) must not
exceed the maximum towing weight of the towcar and the overall train weight
(towcar plus caravan) must not exceed the maximum train weight as quoted by
the car manufacturer. This latter figure is given on the VIN plate of the
towcar.

The Elddis Avante 505 has an MTPLM of 1325kg (26cwt) so you will need a
decent size towcar. There is a large range of cars that could be suitable,
but at the end of the day it is personal preference as to make, petrol or
diesel, saloon or estate etc. Diesels are popular towcars due to high torque
at low revs and decent fuel economy, even when towing. Do your homework on
the vehicle weights. The caravan dealer may also be able to help you by
providing a list of suitably matched towcars. Unless you are in a position
to buy a car primarily for towing, dont forget it will be used most of the
time solo!

Take a look at Tony Maris' website www.towitall.co.uk for useful information
and legalities.

Good luck.

"Andrew Simpson" wrote in
message ...

Old June 30th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Simpson

"SkodaMan" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
[...]

Thanks for the good advice. I will take a look at Tony's website now.

Andrew.

Old July 2nd 04, 05:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

"Andrew Simpson" wrote in
message ...
Hi there,

Although we have not made a purchase yet we are looking to buy a 2004

Elddis
Avante 505. Do any of you out there have one of these?. If so excluding
people towing it with a 4X4, what car are you towing it with?. The reason

ask is that I am about to change my car and want to pick a car that is
comfortable towing this caravan. Also do any of you have any opinions or
problems with this caravan.

Many thanks for your help.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

I have a Compass Corona 505, which as I understand it is the same caravan
with possibly a different trim level.

I tow with an aging (1995) Mitsubishi Space Wagon 2.0 glxi

It tows it capably, but is over the 85% recommended. I think its about 93%.
We try to keep the loading in the caravan down below the maximum. I am
looking for a new towcar, as has been detailed here, but am having
difficulty. I have needed the 7 seats in the Mitsubishi, but hopefully can
get off with a standard car now.

Most family cars don't seem to make it, certainly not within the 85%. I have
been looking at a Vauxhall Omega. They seem very reasonable second hand, but
are very heavy on fuel. Some people here raised real concerns about their
reliability. I am also looking at a Volvo V70 Estate. The problem with all
these big cars is fuel cxonsumption, but also they almost all seem to do
very high mileages. So I could be swopping a car with 73k miles for
something much higher, and paying 4-5 grand for the privilege!

Neb