Bye Bye P&O, Brittany and the others

Old July 1st 04, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Splashlube

Default Bye Bye P&O, Brittany and the others

I'd heard that a new service based on the cheap flight principal had started
for ferries on the Dover- Boulogne Route so thought I'd check it out. A friend
used it and said it was good.

They don't take caravans but do take small motorhomes so it might be useful for
some in this group.

I leave the caravan in France all year now due to cost of getting it to and fro
and wanted to go out 24 August till 5th September for a visit. P&O and
Brittany both quoted 898 for a normal size car + 3 return cough from
Portsmouth to Caen overnight or 590 high speed.

Decided to check the Dover route even though its the worst port for me P&O 205
, Speedferries want 65. No prizes for guessing who won!

The saving of 833 max will pay for 1 hell of a lot of petrol and wine.

So until P&O, Brittany, the Tunnel et al stop ripping me off then I'll even put
up with the M25.

I don't work for them but the website is speedferries.com if you want to look

Regards

Andy

Old July 1st 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sundowner

In message , Splashlube
writes
[...]

Speedferries use a clapped out, very early, small (74m) catamaran,
they'll never be able to take caravans so long as that's their vessel.

In addition that type of fast craft is notoriously unreliable,
especially if poorly maintained and clapped out (see above), neither
will it venture out of port if conditions get a little on the choppy
side. However bearing in mind the way the 74m cats perform in a bit of
a swell, a cancellation is a blessing in disguise for it's passengers.

Cheers
Bill
Old July 1st 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Sundowner" wrote in message
In message , Splashlube
writes
[...]

At the moment they're offering 50 return trips so IMHO it's well worth
booking with them. Even if they cancel one trip you can just go to one of
the other ferries and pay normal price for a one way to get you home, it'll
still be cheaper than going both ways with the biggies.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 1st 04, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Splashlube

Speedferries use a clapped out, very early, small (74m) catamaran,
they'll never be able to take caravans so long as that's their vessel.

In addition that type of fast craft is notoriously unreliable,
especially if poorly maintained and clapped out (see above), neither
will it venture out of port if conditions get a little on the choppy
side. However bearing in mind the way the 74m cats perform in a bit of
a swell, a cancellation is a blessing in disguise for it's passengers.

Cheers
Bill

The P&O Cherbourg "fast ferry" is or was a small clapped out thing that caused
no end of problems. My last experience of them was when it broke down on
arrival in France with 1 engine running and then cancelled. Rude, ignorant and
indifferent staff unable and unwilling to help to the extent that the gendarmes
chased one guy when he tried to run over several people near the ticket booth
when he got impatient. We were offered 100 euros to drive from Cherbourg to
Calais which wouldn't have even covered fuel. Coupled with having a disabled
passenger I didn't do it.

The price for that trip last August with P&Owas over 600 so I'd rather risk
65 return and hope it isn't cancelled . At least Bolougne to Calais isn't a
great drive if the worst happened. And I don't suffer if there is a swell so
that doesn't enter the equation either.

Maybe if Speedferries get enough business they will upgrade the boat and show
the other ferry companies a thing or two.

Regards

Andy

Old July 1st 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

In message , Splashlube
writes
[...]

Living in the Isle of Man I know all about problems with fast ferries,
we seldom bother with the fast craft nowadays, purely because of the
unreliability of them.

The price for that trip last August with P&Owas over 600 so I'd rather risk
65 return and hope it isn't cancelled . At least Bolougne to Calais isn't a
great drive if the worst happened. And I don't suffer if there is a swell so
that doesn't enter the equation either.

The snag is if there's a bit of a swell running they don't go, full
stop. The old types are restricted to a wave height of less than 3
metres. If the sea is higher they simply don't sail. Three metre wave
height is by no means uncommon in British waters either.

Maybe if Speedferries get enough business they will upgrade the boat and show
the other ferry companies a thing or two.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Their vessel will certainly need
upgrading soon, it's already past it's sell by date. Somehow I can't
see them being around for long. Wait and see.

Cheers

Bill