Carver LPG heater Valve jams when hot.

Old July 1st 04, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campervan Tourist

Default Carver LPG heater Valve jams when hot.

The control valve on my Carver gas heater tends to become very stiff and jam
in the on position when the heater gets hot and has been on for some time. I
have had to turn off the isolation valve to turn the heater off on several
occasions. Then when it cools the valve works normally again.
Have others had this sort of problem with a Carver heater, and is there any
advice on how to fix the problem?

Is this a common problem with these heaters? The van is a 1,990 model Swift
Capri.

Can the valve be easily disassembled to replace "O" ring seals or something
similar, or is the only course to replace the valve completely, and if I do
will the problem just recur if it is a design problem with these heaters.?

Old July 1st 04, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

"Campervan Tourist" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Had a similar problem in that you could not press the control down to
ignite - this was caused by the roll-pin that connected the extension
control rod to the gas valve having moved to one side and binding in the
shroud of the valve - may be worth checking first.

Roy

Old July 1st 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article , wrote

[...]

I also used to have exactly the same problem but I soon discovered
why and how to prevent it.

Leaving a high heat setting on for a long time without using the
blown air heating causes excessive heat in the unit and results
in components expanding. The roll-pin movement may be right - caused
by expansion. At lower heat levels or when the blown air is on, the
problem does not occur. [We sometimes didn't use it cause the noise
bugged me]

There may be a component design/tollerance fault but to check it out
and obtain a solution is too bothersome. So now I either use the lecky
[in preference on site] or if I use the gas then I ensure I do not use
the higher settings unless the blown air is running.

When turning down the heat setting [on gas] in prep for using the night
heating, I always run the blown air to cool the unit before turning off
the gas. Doing this has meant that a 'sticking open' sittuation has not
reocurred.

Old July 1st 04, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Arc Systems

[...]

Carver used many different connections and although I suspect your fire is

a 'SBM1800', it would help to be sure before giving any advice
Gary

Old July 2nd 04, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campervan Tourist

Thanks to those responding so far.
The heater I have does not have an electric blower, it is just a convection
heater.
As to the model number I am afraid I don't know it and the van is in storage
a long way from my home at present. The best I can do to help identify the
heater model (until I go to use the van next time in a couple of months) is
to indicate the camper type and time of construction. The Peugeot-Talbot
chassis was made in Feb 1988 (from the plate in the engine bay) and the
vehicle was first registered in the UK in September 1990. The camper is a
Swift Capri model and perhaps the fact that the heater does not have a
blower may be enough to identify the model.