Black towball

Old July 1st 04, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dave lympany

Default Black towball

I read somewhere that a black towball does not require grease, I find this
hard to believe. I have just had one fitted to my freelander and the dealer
didnt seem to have a clue!

Dave

Old July 1st 04, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 19:11:38 +0100, "dave lympany"
wrote:

I read somewhere that a black towball does not require grease, I find this
hard to believe. I have just had one fitted to my freelander and the dealer
didnt seem to have a clue!

The only difference between a black & bright towball is that the black
one is painted & the bright one is zinc plated.

Standard couplings require a greased towball.
Stabiliser type ones with friction pads must have a clean ungreased
ball eg Al-Ko AKS200 or Winterhoff.

Lenny
Old July 1st 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"dave lympany" wrote in message
I read somewhere that a black towball does not require grease, I find this
hard to believe. I have just had one fitted to my freelander and the

dealer
didnt seem to have a clue!

I have an Alko stabilizer and it says no grease at all to be on ball.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 1st 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MikeS

"dave lympany" wrote in message
I read somewhere that a black towball does not require grease, I find this
hard to believe. I have just had one fitted to my freelander and the

dealer
didnt seem to have a clue!

Dave

It could be coated with PFT (polytetrafluoroethylene thats the chemical

name) as used on non-stick frying pans, its just a guess, but dont use this
ball on a stabeliser that needs friction.
Common sense only makes sense to a smart arse.
MikeS

Old July 1st 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

wrote:

I read somewhere that a black towball does not require grease, I find

this
hard to believe. I have just had one fitted to my freelander and the

dealer
didnt seem to have a clue!

The only difference between a black & bright towball is that the black
one is painted & the bright one is zinc plated.

Standard couplings require a greased towball.
Stabiliser type ones with friction pads must have a clean ungreased
ball eg Al-Ko AKS200 or Winterhoff.

Lenny

Meant to post this here ..... apologies

When mine was fitted for an alko they took a fair bit of trouble to take the
black 'paint' off because it could contaminate the friction pads .......
richard

Old July 1st 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
SkodaMan

I am about to have a new towbar fitted to my new car. This will be a Witter
detachable and the fitters have told me to clean the towball with emery
cloth to remove traces of paint as the paint could contaminate the pads on
my Alko AKS 2000 hitch.

news:aCZEc.2667$K%[email protected]

Old July 1st 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hodge

A friend of mine had a black Alko towball and the paint came off and did
contaminate his friction pads. When I had mine fitted for my new caravan I
contacted Alko and they said that the black paint must be removed prior to
use and is only there for cosmetic reasons to stop it going rusty during
shipping/storage .

Hodge