12v Plug?

Old July 1st 04, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Default 12v Plug?

I bought a couple of what I though would be 'standard' 2pin 12v plugs, and
have just connected one to the telly lead, only to find that it doesn't fit
the 12v sockets in the caravan.
Presumably they are not standard, so which type do I need for my Elddis 96
caravan please?

Thanks,
Steve

Old July 1st 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Just to add that the two sockets in the caravan are combined tv aerial/2pin
12v socket type, if that helps!

Old July 2nd 04, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony

stephent wrote:
I bought a couple of what I though would be 'standard' 2pin 12v
plugs, and have just connected one to the telly lead, only to find
that it doesn't fit the 12v sockets in the caravan.
Presumably they are not standard, so which type do I need for my
Elddis 96 caravan please?

Thanks,
Steve

There are only two types to my knowledge.

One is very small and flimsy and the two pins are slightly angled from each
other. The other is a quite a bit more bulky with much thicker pins which
are aligned straight.

You want this second type. How one differentiates via a name I don't know,
but I got the right sort by finding the same socket in the van shop that I
have in the van and then matching the plug.

Tony

Old July 2nd 04, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Thanks Tony, that's spot on. The type I have is the first one you describe
with the pins at an angle.
Amazing isn't it I had a 50% chance of being right.....but ended up with the
50% chance of being wrong.

Never mind, it's the lottery tomorrow...maybe, just maybe!!!

Thanks again, I'm off to get some plugs, and maybe a new telly even.

Steve.

Old July 2nd 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 07:18:01 +0100, "Tony" wrote:

stephent wrote:
I bought a couple of what I though would be 'standard' 2pin 12v
plugs, and have just connected one to the telly lead, only to find
that it doesn't fit the 12v sockets in the caravan.
Presumably they are not standard, so which type do I need for my
Elddis 96 caravan please?

Thanks,
Steve

There are only two types to my knowledge.

One is very small and flimsy and the two pins are slightly angled from each
other. The other is a quite a bit more bulky with much thicker pins which
are aligned straight.

The fist one is made by W4 Limited & was standard on most UK vans
until about1990, the second type is an USA 2 pin mains plug the ones
in UK vans are made by Clipsal (an Australian company) & come in a
variety of colours Beige & Sand most common in UK vans & have been the
standard fitment since early nineties.

Both types are available nearly all caravan accessory shops.

Point of interest in late eighties - early nineties Avondale used old
fashioned 3 pin 5 amp mains sockets (round pin type) for 12v supply.

Lenny
Old July 2nd 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Glynn

"stephent" wrote in message
I bought a couple of what I though would be 'standard' 2pin 12v plugs, and
have just connected one to the telly lead, only to find that it doesn't

fit
the 12v sockets in the caravan.
Presumably they are not standard, so which type do I need for my Elddis 96
caravan please?

Thanks,
Steve

Think yourself lucky my new 2004 van hadn't got any conventional 12v
sockets( I had one put in the side locker so I could run the cool box in the
awning), there is a socket next to the TV socket but that's a cigar lighter
type socket.

---