Caravanning in Germany

Old July 3rd 04, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John B

Default Caravanning in Germany

Dear all,

We have booked the van as far as Calais again, but fancy doing the Mosel
valley this year instead of France.I do not book in advance but use the
excellent Municipal sites. I have rarely had a problem finding a good pitch.

I cannot find much information about the range or number of sites in
Germany. Is there an equivalent of the 'municipal' ? What quality are they?
Cost? How busy? Are they tightly packed? Any web sites for reference?
Recommendations for sites in the Mosel valley as far as Koblenz would be
welcome. We are only away for 16 nights, including travelling down from the
North West.

By the way, the Caravan Club are still offering free caravans. We booked 2
weeks ago, going out at 16.45 returning at 20.45 for 137.60 return. Better
value than I expected for a late booking.

Thanks,

John B.
--
Remove nospam from email address to reply

---

Old July 5th 04, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

--
"John B" wrote in message
[...]

We have just returned from ten days in Germany. I am not aware of campsites
similar to French municipals but there are lots of other campsites. They
tend not to have all the facilities you find in French commercial sites.
Also pitches do vary a bit in size. During our stay we stopped at Waxweiler
near Prum and Rudesheim. The Caravan Club European Campsite guide is useful
for finding campsites but so are the Tour Cheque/Camping Cheque booklets.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old July 6th 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phil

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 17:34:23 +0100, "David klyne"
wrote:

They
tend not to have all the facilities you find in French commercial sites

Nonsense. Some are simple but others have many facilities.

Phil
Old July 6th 04, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

I cannot find much information about the range or number of sites in
Germany. Is there an equivalent of the 'municipal' ? What quality are

they?
Cost? How busy? Are they tightly packed? Any web sites for reference?
Recommendations for sites in the Mosel valley as far as Koblenz would be
welcome. We are only away for 16 nights, including travelling down from

the
North West.

I caravan quite a lot in Germany and there are municipal campsites but, I
believe tend to be in town, Koblenz and Muenster spring to mind. I would
steer away from them personally unless it is location you are after because
I have found the staff are council employees and really don't care for you
and the site quite like a private site.

Price wise, difficult to give you and answer but for 2 adults probally Eur
10 a night inc tax electricty etc

I use a huge book called ECC
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...243578-7099704

which has most of the good campsites across Europe. Order it off amazon.de
or pick one up from a book shop when you get into Germany.

Paul

Old July 6th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

--
s.com...
wrote:

They
tend not to have all the facilities you find in French commercial sites

Nonsense. Some are simple but others have many facilities.

Phil

Perhaps it might have been a bit more constructive if you answered the
original post and helped the original poster with his quest for information
rather than having a pop at me given that you obviously have so much
experience of camping in Germany. My own experience of using 7 campsites in
Germany over the various visits is as stated in my reply. Two of the 7 sites
might have been considered full facility in the general sense of French
commercial sites. I am sure there may be others that I have not come across
yet.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old July 7th 04, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phil

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:59:37 +0100, "David klyne"
wrote:

Perhaps it might have been a bit more constructive if you answered the
original post and helped the original poster with his quest for information
rather than having a pop at me given that you obviously have so much
experience of camping in Germany.

David,

Agreed but......... Unlike you I don't keep records of caravaning in
Germany since 1975. And, my memory is short. In my mind I have a
visual images of good, bad, big, small, many facilities or few
facilities - but no hard facts. So, how could I advise the originator
of this thread?

Phil
Old July 7th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:27:33 +0100, "John B"
wrote:

| Dear all,
|
| We have booked the van as far as Calais again,

| We are only away for 16 nights, including travelling down from the
| North West.

Pity :-(
When going to Germany we use Hull Rotterdam, much less driving and a good
nights sleep.
http://www.ferrycrossings-uk.co.uk/o...-o-ferries.htm

There is also a Newcastle - somewhere in Germany ?????? Kould not find it
on a quick google.

| but fancy doing the Mosel
| valley this year instead of France.I do not book in advance but use the
| excellent Municipal sites. I have rarely had a problem finding a good pitch.
|
| I cannot find much information about the range or number of sites in
| Germany. Is there an equivalent of the 'municipal' ? What quality are they?
| Cost? How busy? Are they tightly packed? Any web sites for reference?

We found a map with sites marked on it otherwise just followed the road
signs. They are just the same as ours. Go to the entrance, have a quick
look see. if you like what you see book in for a day or two.

We have stayed on many German sites and they were all IMO good to
excellent. Never had any real problems except that you *must* have a PIN
to get money out of Visa/Mastercard.

Dave F

Old July 7th 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

--
s.com...
wrote:
Agreed but......... Unlike you I don't keep records of caravaning in
Germany since 1975. And, my memory is short. In my mind I have a
visual images of good, bad, big, small, many facilities or few
facilities - but no hard facts. So, how could I advise the originator
of this thread?

Phil

My first visit to Germany was in 1992, my second in 2000 and we have just
returned from Germany at the weekend. My whole point was that if you could
not advise the original poster why post at all.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old July 7th 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John B

"David klyne" wrote in message

s.com...
wrote:

[...]

Details of our Caravan Travels in the UK and Europe with help and advice

and
site reports

Thank you David. Yes, all I want is some 'positive' knowledegable
suggestions. After doing France and Belgium for about 16 years of tents,
statics, trailer tent and caravan, I want to try Germany for a change. There
will be differences, I know. I just hoped that the group would be helpful
and not start sniping with each other yet again. Lets get this group back on
track with just proper help and advice.

John B.

---

Old July 7th 04, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

--
Thank you David. Yes, all I want is some 'positive' knowledegable
suggestions. After doing France and Belgium for about 16 years of tents,
statics, trailer tent and caravan, I want to try Germany for a change.

There
will be differences, I know. I just hoped that the group would be helpful
and not start sniping with each other yet again. Lets get this group back

on
track with just proper help and advice.

John

I hope you enjoy Germany, it is that little bit different and I think you
will find it a pleasant change, after all variety is the spice of like.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports