Battery went flat while towing

Old July 3rd 04, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
craig

Default Battery went flat while towing

I Took my Elddis broardway down to Cornwall last week and when i sited it
the 12v battery was flat.

The electrics were set to car battery.
The fridge was switched to 12v.
and the grey scoket was conneccted.

this is the first time we have towed with our car and the first time we have
pulled this van, is there something obvious or will i need to look more
deeper.

Regards
Craig

Old July 3rd 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

craig wrote:

I Took my Elddis broardway down to Cornwall last week and when i
sited it the 12v battery was flat.

The electrics were set to car battery.
The fridge was switched to 12v.
and the grey scoket was conneccted.

this is the first time we have towed with our car and the first time
we have pulled this van, is there something obvious or will i need to
look more deeper.

Regards
Craig

I'm not sure whether you're saying that it went flat on the journey - or
whether it might have been flat before you started.

If the latter, some car/van changeover switches operate a relay which
consumes current from the van battery in the "car" position if there is no
car connected. If yours is like this, this could have flattened the battery
while the van was parked at home or wherever before you set out. I always
have to make a point of leaving my switch in the "van" position - where it
doesn't consume any current.

If it was *definitely* flattened on the journey, there's something wrong
with your wiring - maybe allowing the fridge to draw current from the van
battery, which it should *never* be able to do.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 3rd 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 15:28:31 GMT, "craig"
wrote:

I Took my Elddis broardway down to Cornwall last week and when i sited it
the 12v battery was flat.

The electrics were set to car battery.
The fridge was switched to 12v.
and the grey scoket was conneccted.

this is the first time we have towed with our car and the first time we have
pulled this van, is there something obvious or will i need to look more
deeper.

Regards
Craig

If you are using a combi relay in the & the van is pre 98, check the
supply feeding the relay, if there is no power (blown fuse etc) the
fridge will be powered by the van battery - hence when tow you get a
flat battery.
This happens because on a combi relay there is a single feed supply
feeding the relay contacts and the other side of the contacts are
split one to the fridge & one to the fridge & one to the van battery
when the relay is switched on the fridge & battery are joined together
thus if there is no 12v feed the fridge will take its power from the
van battery. Easy to see in a drawing hard to describe in words.

It happened to me once, solution sometimes you can mod the relay or
fit 2 relays one for the fridge & one for the battery fed via separate
fuses.

Lenny
Old July 3rd 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
george varney

Hi Craig,
Everytime you stop and switch off your engine, disconnect
your grey plug.If you don't do this you will drain your battery-this has
happened to me!
Cheers
George.
k...

Old July 3rd 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
RADIOTWO

" Everytime you stop and switch off your engine,
disconnect
your grey plug.If you don't do this you will drain your battery-this has
happened to me!
Cheers

Not if it is wired correctly, with a split relay !

Steve

Old July 3rd 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

I Took my Elddis broardway down to Cornwall last week and when i sited it
the 12v battery was flat.

The electrics were set to car battery.
The fridge was switched to 12v.
and the grey scoket was conneccted.

this is the first time we have towed with our car and the first time we have
pulled this van, is there something obvious or will i need to look more
deeper.

Regards
Craig

I assume that the battery had been bench charged or at least charged
in the caravan before you set off. If not then whilst you should
expect some charging to occur when the fridge is on it will not be as
great as it would be with the fridge turned off. I used to find that
with a fully charged battery driving with the fridge on reduced the
charge in the van battery slightly and came to the conclusion that
since all the wiring came together on the car side of the relay that
the fridge was reducing the voltage at this point to less than the
voltage that was available in the caravan battery, My solution was to
remove the negative connection on my battery before leaving and
reconnect it on arriving.
Another possibility is that the car has been wired without a relay in
place which will bring the two cables together at a point inside the
car between the battery and the sockets. The result of this would be
to equalise the voltages when you are driving and to put the caravan
battery in the circuit in parallel with the car battery when you are
stopped so draining both supplies.

If you find that you have a split relay fitted the easiest way out of
the problem is to charge the battery before leaving and to leave it
out of the circuit whilst travelling.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old July 4th 04, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MikeS

"george varney" wrote in message
Hi Craig,
Everytime you stop and switch off your engine,

disconnect
your grey plug.If you don't do this you will drain your battery-this has
happened to me!
Cheers
George.
"craig" wrote in message
k...
I Took my Elddis broardway down to Cornwall last week and when i sited

it
the 12v battery was flat.

The electrics were set to car battery.
The fridge was switched to 12v.
and the grey scoket was conneccted.

this is the first time we have towed with our car and the first time we

have
pulled this van, is there something obvious or will i need to look more
deeper.

Regards
Craig

With respect Geoge don't you think it a good idea to get your wiring

checked out. As most normaly wired caravans have relays that disconnet the
caravan battery when the engine is not in use. I trust your not winding the
NG up?!!

Old July 4th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
craig

Ok guys, i had a closer look today,

the battery was very low on acid

the -ve conecter onto the batery was cracked so it was giving a loose
connection.

I also checked on the Zig X7 charger and every thing seamed okey except that
in the manual there should be a -ve cable from the grey plug to pin 3 on the
charger.

the battery level and connector i can sort, but am i susposed to have a -ve
from the grey plug, the towbar was fitted last month from a towbar specalist
so i confidence in it have the split charge relays.

Criag

k...

Old July 4th 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 20:31:18 GMT, "craig"
wrote:

| Ok guys, i had a closer look today,
|
| the battery was very low on acid
|
| the -ve conecter onto the batery was cracked so it was giving a loose
| connection.
|
| I also checked on the Zig X7 charger and every thing seamed okey except that
| in the manual there should be a -ve cable from the grey plug to pin 3 on the
| charger.
|
| the battery level and connector i can sort, but am i susposed to have a -ve
| from the grey plug, the towbar was fitted last month from a towbar specalist
| so i confidence in it have the split charge relays.

| "craig" wrote in message
| k...
| I Took my Elddis broardway down to Cornwall last week and when i sited it
| the 12v battery was flat.
|
| The electrics were set to car battery.
| The fridge was switched to 12v.
| and the grey scoket was conneccted.
|
| this is the first time we have towed with our car and the first time we
| have
| pulled this van, is there something obvious or will i need to look more
| deeper.

I was doubtful if my battery was being charged from the car alternator
while towing.
Measured the battery voltage at the battery terminals, with no hookup and
not connected to the car.
Connected the van to the car in towing configuration.
Started the car engine, with the car *stationary*.
The voltage at the battery terminals went *up* by about a volt (the
increase depends on lots of things so I would have been happy with any
increase).

Batteries have a limited, few years, life. So it may be dead.

Dave F

Dave F