M5 Stopovers

Old July 4th 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Roberts

Default M5 Stopovers

Hi everyone. We are taking our annual holidays in a few weeks time and will
be travelling from East Yorkshire to just outside Truro in Cornwall. Looking
to start travelling overnight for around the first 200miles. This should
leave us somewhere on the M5. I really want to get past Birmingham and the
M40 before the traffic starts to build up. Has anyone got any suggestions
for a stopover on the M5. We would be arriving around 3 - 4 am on a Friday
morning.

All reasonable suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Carol & Jim R

Old July 4th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Jim Roberts wrote:

Hi everyone. We are taking our annual holidays in a few weeks time
and will be travelling from East Yorkshire to just outside Truro in
Cornwall. Looking to start travelling overnight for around the first
200miles. This should leave us somewhere on the M5. I really want to
get past Birmingham and the M40 before the traffic starts to build
up. Has anyone got any suggestions for a stopover on the M5. We would
be arriving around 3 - 4 am on a Friday morning.

All reasonable suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Carol & Jim R

Which way are you coming? I'm slightly confused about your reference to the
M40 - unless you just mean going past the top of it on the M42. [My
expectation, confirmed by AutoRoute, is that you would come down the M1,
A42, M42 to the M5].

I don't know exactly where you're starting from, but if you were starting
from York, 200 miles would get you to about M5 J13 - just south of
Gloucester. Does that sound about right!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 4th 04, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Jim Roberts typed:

http://www.5minutesaway.co.uk/frm/index.htm

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Old July 4th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Roberts

Hi..........typo......the last message should have read M42 not
M40.........We are comming from Driffield in East Yorkshire. We are just
looking for somewhere to safely park the van up and rest for the night or at
least what is left of it.

Thanks

Carol & Jim R

Old July 4th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Paul - xxx wrote:

Jim Roberts typed:
Hi everyone. We are taking our annual holidays in a few weeks time
and will be travelling from East Yorkshire to just outside Truro in
Cornwall. Looking to start travelling overnight for around the first
200miles. This should leave us somewhere on the M5. I really want to
get past Birmingham and the M40 before the traffic starts to build
up. Has anyone got any suggestions for a stopover on the M5. We
would be arriving around 3 - 4 am on a Friday morning.

All reasonable suggestions welcome.

http://www.5minutesaway.co.uk/frm/index.htm

I'm not aware that 5minutesaway includes caravan sites or stop-overs.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 4th 04, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Jim Roberts wrote:

Hi..........typo......the last message should have read M42 not
M40.........We are comming from Driffield in East Yorkshire. We are
just looking for somewhere to safely park the van up and rest for the
night or at least what is left of it.

Thanks

Carol & Jim R

There are Caravan Club CLs within 2-3 miles of J10 (near Cheltenham) and J13
(south of Gloucester) which may possibly fit the bill, but I have no
personal experience of either.

I don't know whether the owners would take kindly to someone arriving at
3am!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 4th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Hitch Lock typed:
Paul - xxx wrote:

Jim Roberts typed:
Hi everyone. We are taking our annual holidays in a few weeks time
and will be travelling from East Yorkshire to just outside Truro in
Cornwall. Looking to start travelling overnight for around the first
200miles. This should leave us somewhere on the M5. I really want to
get past Birmingham and the M40 before the traffic starts to build
up. Has anyone got any suggestions for a stopover on the M5. We
would be arriving around 3 - 4 am on a Friday morning.

All reasonable suggestions welcome.

http://www.5minutesaway.co.uk/frm/index.htm

I'm not aware that 5minutesaway includes caravan sites or stop-overs.

Not specifically, though service areas and their telephone numbers are
included .. and I've used it many times, and found a few places will allow
you to stay over in the 'van, providing you phone first to arrange it, for a
more modest fee than most 'real' caravan sites.

I've sent an email to 5minutesaway with the suggestion that caravan
stopovers be included .. or at least that caravan sized spaces may be
available ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Old July 4th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DC

There's also the Plough at Cambridge on the A 38 between junctions 13 and 12 on
the m5 very close to slimbridge

DieSea

Old July 4th 04, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tony penner

Coming from Newcastle , we always stopped at Strensham services just before
M50 into Wales

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Hitch Lock typed:

Jim Roberts typed:

Old July 5th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul King

"Jim Roberts" wrote in message
Hi everyone. We are taking our annual holidays in a few weeks time and

will
be travelling from East Yorkshire to just outside Truro in Cornwall.

Looking
to start travelling overnight for around the first 200miles. This should
leave us somewhere on the M5. I really want to get past Birmingham and the
M40 before the traffic starts to build up. Has anyone got any suggestions
for a stopover on the M5. We would be arriving around 3 - 4 am on a Friday
morning.

All reasonable suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Carol & Jim R

Use Michael Wood services - somewhere around M5 J14 Gloucestershire.

They have a large area for caravans - and *LOTS* of people camp overnight.
--

Replace the dots and remove nospam for valid email address