Stabiliser bar angle?

Old July 4th 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Default Stabiliser bar angle?

Should the nylon channel-like piece which fits on the side of the caravan
hitch be on the same plane as the spring/bar please?
The angle on mine is adjustable, and currently only the front edge (nearer
the car) actually makes contact. I was just wondering if it should be set so
that as much of the spring/bar as possible is in contact with the nylon
channel piece?

It's brand new, but the instructions didn't make it very clear, Breckland I
think is the make.
Thanks,
Steve.

Old July 4th 04, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 20:41:45 GMT, "stephent" wrote:

| No nothing David. It's only a hand drawn/written set of instructions.
| I hadn't thought of lowering it in fact, but you're right of course, that
| would change the angle of contact as well. I was simply thinking of changing
| the angle of the bracket which holds the nylon channel.
| The instructions don't make it clear as to where it actually goes.

My instructions are equally unclear :-(
When first fitted the bar jumped out of the nylon channel, Nasty noise
when I was bashing down the motorway :-(
I just moved the channel up an adjustment hole. It works OK now.

Dave F
Old July 4th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"stephent" wrote in message
Should the nylon channel-like piece which fits on the side of the caravan
hitch be on the same plane as the spring/bar please?
The angle on mine is adjustable, and currently only the front edge (nearer
the car) actually makes contact. I was just wondering if it should be set

so
that as much of the spring/bar as possible is in contact with the nylon
channel piece?

It's brand new, but the instructions didn't make it very clear, Breckland

think is the make.

When I had that sort of blade stabiliser the instructions for mine gave a
measurement for how high you had to lift the blade to the shoe. Think it
weas about 4 ", can you see anything like that in your paperwork?

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 4th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

It's positioned now, so that the bar is roughly parallel with the caravan
hitch.

Old July 4th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Allan

In article , "stephent"
wrote:

Should the nylon channel-like piece which fits on the side of the caravan
hitch be on the same plane as the spring/bar please?
The angle on mine is adjustable, and currently only the front edge (nearer
the car) actually makes contact. I was just wondering if it should be set
so
that as much of the spring/bar as possible is in contact with the nylon
channel piece?

During the times I used such a stabiliser it was only the front edge that
made contact as well and there is no need to try and adjust the angle. Over
time as some wear takes place the area of contact will increase in any case.

It is more important to get the height set correctly so that you get the L
shaped bracket fixed as high as possible for maximum anti pitching effect
while still being just able to lift the blade into the bracket. That will
also ensure that the blade does not jump out of the bracket while moving
over bumps etc.

Remember also that it is very important to keep adjusting the tension on the
friction pads as wear takes place because that is the part that gives you
the anti-snaking properties.

--
John Allan

Old July 5th 04, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Hi all,
I've looked again at the instructions, and they say to draw a line which
they call the 'neutral axis', from the car back along the caravan hitch.
This neutral axis appears to be midway between two parallel lines emanating
from the top and bottom of the flange! Now as to what the flange may be...I
have no idea! Unless it's the top and bottom of the hitch plate on the car?
If that is the case, then my neutral axis comes just below the caravan
hitch, and is in mid-air!
Anyway, they say to fix the 'L' bracket which holds the nylon channel,on the
neutral axis, by using the middle pair of holes. These holes are parallel to
the top of the 'L' bracket, while the nylon channel is set at an angle
sloping down towards the caravan...which of course means that only the
leading edge is likely to make contact with the bar/blade, however in the
hand drawn diagram it shows the blade sitting snugly along the whole length
of the channel!
Hey ho and all that!
Thanks again,
Steve

Old July 5th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

stephent wrote:

Hi all,
I've looked again at the instructions, and they say to draw a line which
they call the 'neutral axis', from the car back along the caravan hitch.
This neutral axis appears to be midway between two parallel lines emanating
from the top and bottom of the flange! Now as to what the flange may be...I
have no idea! Unless it's the top and bottom of the hitch plate on the car?
If that is the case, then my neutral axis comes just below the caravan
hitch, and is in mid-air!

I don't know the detail of your instructions, but a common
meaning of "neutral axis" relates to drilling holes in a beam in
the least stressed area, so as to minimise the weakening effect.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old July 5th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Ah, thanks Chris. Yes that would make sense. Perhaps the flanges they refer
to are the top and bottom of the caravan hitch profile, meaning the middle
of the hitch (from top to bottom, the length of the spring determines how
far it should be from the ball). Although if that was the case why not just
say measure and drill at the middle of the hitch?
Thanks again,
Steve.

Old July 13th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

"stephent" wrote in message
Ah, thanks Chris. Yes that would make sense. Perhaps the flanges they

refer
to are the top and bottom of the caravan hitch profile, meaning the middle
of the hitch (from top to bottom, the length of the spring determines how
far it should be from the ball). Although if that was the case why not

just
say measure and drill at the middle of the hitch?
Thanks again,
Steve.

I believe that it is in-advisable to drill a modern 'A frame' suitable
clamps are usually available

Roy
www.pikey.ne1.net