Description please

Old July 5th 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Default Description please

stephent wrote:

Hi,
I'm searching for a few sites to use on our way up to Scotland later
on this month, and was wondering what exactly this type of
description means please? Caravan Club CL with non-member facilities

What are 'non member facilities'? Does it mean that we will be put on
a mountain top somewhere nearby, or maybe in a quagmire with no fresh
water? Surely they wouldn't try to tattoo ' NON MEMBER' on our
foreheads? ;-)

Seriously though, is this an example of where CC membership would make
things much easier?

By the way the site I'm using for searching is:
http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk

I take this to mean that there is a CL - with the usual 5-van limit for CC
members - and an additional field (not part of the CL per-se) which is open
to non-CC members. A CL where I had used to stay in Cornwall was just like
this.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 5th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:06:49 +0100, "Hitch Lock"

I take this to mean that there is a CL - with the usual 5-van limit for CC
members - and an additional field (not part of the CL per-se) which is open
to non-CC members. A CL where I had used to stay in Cornwall was just like
this.

And therefore illegal one supposes, but IANAL.
I'm inclined to contact the CC for clarification, I'll bet it's
illegal to operate that way unless the "non members" bit is only for
tents.

I have every sympathy for CL owners - I use CLs almost exclusively in
the UK - but they shouldn't flout the rules. I no longer stay at one I
used to use on a regular basis because there'd sometimes be 10 'vans
on it.

Old July 5th 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony

Nigel Crompton wrote:
On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:06:49 +0100, "Hitch Lock"

I take this to mean that there is a CL - with the usual 5-van limit
for CC members - and an additional field (not part of the CL per-se)
which is open to non-CC members. A CL where I had used to stay in
Cornwall was just like this.

And therefore illegal one supposes, but IANAL.
I'm inclined to contact the CC for clarification, I'll bet it's
illegal to operate that way unless the "non members" bit is only for
tents.

I have every sympathy for CL owners - I use CLs almost exclusively in
the UK - but they shouldn't flout the rules. I no longer stay at one I
used to use on a regular basis because there'd sometimes be 10 'vans
on it.

Can you tell me where these rules are explained - I guess the dept of the
environment have somewhere where the exemption cert is explained, but I
haven't looked through their hideous web site.

Tony

Old July 5th 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Nigel Crompton wrote:

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:06:49 +0100, "Hitch Lock"

I take this to mean that there is a CL - with the usual 5-van limit
for CC members - and an additional field (not part of the CL per-se)
which is open to non-CC members. A CL where I had used to stay in
Cornwall was just like this.

And therefore illegal one supposes, but IANAL.
I'm inclined to contact the CC for clarification, I'll bet it's
illegal to operate that way unless the "non members" bit is only for
tents.

I have every sympathy for CL owners - I use CLs almost exclusively in
the UK - but they shouldn't flout the rules. I no longer stay at one I
used to use on a regular basis because there'd sometimes be 10 'vans
on it.

I don't think it's illegal as long as you've got a local authority licence
for the other bit.

In that case, you may wonder why they have a CL at all - because this is
often a device for having a small site when a LA licence for a bigger one
wouldn't be granted. Maybe the CL bit draws in a lot of clients who wouldn't
otherwise know about the site? It provides (free?) advertising to a very
large group of caravanners. If a CC member tries to book when the 5 places
are already taken, the owner can then say "the CL is full but you can stay
in the public part".
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 5th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Thanks everyone, but I'm still a bit hazy about all this!
Am I right in thinking that to be a CC member would be of no advantage in
such a site then?
Are Certified Locations specific to the CC, or can anyone stay on them?
Steve.

Old July 5th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"Nigel Crompton" wrote in message

I have every sympathy for CL owners - I use CLs almost exclusively in
the UK - but they shouldn't flout the rules. I no longer stay at one I
used to use on a regular basis because there'd sometimes be 10 'vans
on it.

Yes, there's one locally with 9 numbered plots on it - and electric to each
one!!

Budgie

Old July 5th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

stephent wrote:

Thanks everyone, but I'm still a bit hazy about all this!
Am I right in thinking that to be a CC member would be of no
advantage in such a site then?
Are Certified Locations specific to the CC, or can anyone stay on
them? Steve.

Only Caravan Club members can stay on CC Certificated (not Certified!)
Locations. Similarly C&CC members on their Certificated Sites.

The only possible advantage to CC members when staying on a mixed/split site
is that they qualify to stay on the slightly more exclusive 5-van area.
Non-members don't.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 6th 04, 06:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 22:52:18 +0100, "Hitch Lock" wrote:

| In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
| stephent wrote:
|
| Thanks everyone, but I'm still a bit hazy about all this!
| Am I right in thinking that to be a CC member would be of no
| advantage in such a site then?
| Are Certified Locations specific to the CC, or can anyone stay on
| them? Steve.
|
| Only Caravan Club members can stay on CC Certificated (not Certified!)
| Locations. Similarly C&CC members on their Certificated Sites.
|
| The only possible advantage to CC members when staying on a mixed/split site
| is that they qualify to stay on the slightly more exclusive 5-van area.
| Non-members don't.

Well those are the *rules*.
IME nobody ever checks membership cards.

Dave F

Old July 6th 04, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Thanks, I think it will be me who'll be 'certified' by the time I've worked
it all out!!
I'm loathe to join either organisation, as I acutely dislike being
regimented in any way....standing in queues, going on guided tours and
having to listen to the guides 'jokes' etc., - all are anathema to me. I
know the above don't apply to either club, but it's just the ethos.
The mere thought of taking part in events organised by retired accountants
whilst on holiday, fills me with blood curdling dread ;-) !! Free spirit and
all that.
Ahem!

Regards, and many thanks to everyone again,
Steve.