RE M5 Stopovers

Old July 6th 04, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Roberts

Default RE M5 Stopovers

Hi everyone............A big thanks for all the comments and advice.

Only two and a half weeks until we travel. As we both work in schools and
have long since lived in a child free house, we have booked into an adult
only site at Chacewater nr Truro. Not that we dont like children, they pay
the mortgage. Its just great to have choices when you hear them.

~Thanks again

Jim &Carol R

Old July 6th 04, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DC

Hi Jim

When you return home , can you please let the N G know what it was like.

Some time ago I tried to book at short notice and didn't go there eventually

Just got back from that area after a few weeks away

Regards to All

DieSea

Old July 6th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DC

"Jim Roberts" wrote in message
Hi everyone............A big thanks for all the comments and advice.

Only two and a half weeks until we travel. As we both work in schools and
have long since lived in a child free house, we have booked into an adult
only site at Chacewater nr Truro. Not that we dont like children, they pay
the mortgage. Its just great to have choices when you hear them.

~Thanks again

Jim &Carol R

Hi All

If you have decided to use the A 30 from Exeter to near Truro try top avoid the
stretch south of Bodmin over the Goss Moor , Firstly there's a low level railway
Bridge that manages to catch more than 2 lorries a week , then there's the on of
on off on Dual carriageway sections that creates tailbacks that are hours of
crawling , we "do Cornwall "
for three weeks each time twice a year , never travel at week ends and never
during the day between Exeter and St. Austell.

If you go south over the Tamar Bridge its free (watch the cameras in the Saltash
Tunnels, I'm told they're VERY tight) , if you go north you pay ( its the 40 years
training by a Yorkshire wife !! ) !!

Journey times

Not much more than 8 hours driving with 4 to 6 hours of stops between Cumbria and
Penzance

Have a good holiday

DieSea

Old July 7th 04, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin \(Please note spammers email address used\)

Hi All

If you have decided to use the A 30 from Exeter to near Truro try top

avoid the
stretch south of Bodmin over the Goss Moor ,

There is a good detour, come off the A30 and head to Camelford, then follow
A39 all the way to the A30

Old July 7th 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

wrote:

Hi All

If you have decided to use the A 30 from Exeter to near Truro try
top avoid the stretch south of Bodmin over the Goss Moor ,

There is a good detour, come off the A30 and head to Camelford, then
follow A39 all the way to the A30

A detour, yes - don't know about good though!

The A39 is a bit narrow and windey (sp?) in places, and Camelford itself is
a bit of a bottleneck. At least you don't have to go through Wadebridge
now - that used to be a killer before they built the by-pass.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 7th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin \(Please note spammers email address used\)

The A39 is a bit narrow and windey (sp?) in places, and Camelford itself
is
a bit of a bottleneck. At least you don't have to go through Wadebridge
now - that used to be a killer before they built the by-pass.

Camelford can be horrid but there is a detour around it down the lanes
(which are OK)

Windey is fun - my car handles well - St. Austell Truro road is fun as
well - just make everything is secured well.

Old July 7th 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DC

The A39 is a bit narrow and windey (sp?) in places, and Camelford itself is
a bit of a bottleneck. At least you don't have to go through Wadebridge
now - that used to be a killer before they built the by-pass.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Having done that journey more times than I care to remember , visiting grandma in
west Penwith , I recon when the "Visitors" are around ( like now ) the best route
is Exeter , Plymouth , Liskeard , ST..Austell and Truro.

Never used the A 39 but I believe its posted as a holiday route detour , don't
know what that means !!

The mileages aren't that much different according to Auto-Route

Exeter, Bodmin and Chacewater using the A30 is 90.7 miles

Exeter , Plymouth , Liskeard , St. Austell , Truro and Chacewater using the A38 /
A390 is 105.1 miles

DieSea