Volvo s80 headlights(France)

Old July 6th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tony penner

Default Volvo s80 headlights(France)

Anyone know which part of the headlight to blackout?

Thanks in advance

Tony

10 days to go and counting

Old July 6th 04, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I have just come back from France with Volvo S60 (almost the same car);
bought light convertor from Halfords, many car accesory shops sell them; can
be either translucient or black.

Old July 6th 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 18:36:06 +0100, "Tony Penner"
wrote:

Anyone know which part of the headlight to blackout?

Unless you _know_ you'll be driving at night, don't bother.

In the days of yore (before aircon & extended holiday entitlements) I
used to drive thro' the night to get from Calais to Alps; then I did
alter my headlamps. But I realised about 3 years ago whilst peeling
off the beam-benders that I hadn't used lights ( except in tunnels)
during the entire trip. Never bothered since, tho' I do keep a set of
beam beders in the car.

A set of beambenders from Halfords is the best bet.
Old July 6th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Sorry I do not agree with this opinion, Volvos have running lights on all
the time and even with the lights tipped down (to compensate for the
caravan) they are still shining toward oncoming drivers; again you might on
occasions have to drive through tunnels.
I still think you should buy the beam benders.

Old July 6th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:56:45 +0100, "Stewart"
wrote:

Sorry I do not agree with this opinion, Volvos have running lights on all

Ah,yes.
the time and even with the lights tipped down (to compensate for the

Not a problem with my Citroen(s) they always point where they should.

Cheers 'n' Beers

Old July 7th 04, 04:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROGER MANLEY

You can also buy self adhesive kits on the ferries (but not in the
Chunnell!).

However, a word of warning to all. 2 Years ago I returned from hols., gaily
peeled off my self adhesive beam benders and pulled the lens off my Jeep.
Take care.

Roger

Old July 7th 04, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill Hampton

Not true, in later models they can be "turned" off.
My S80 does not have lights on unless they are turned on by the driver.
Anyway the original question was about Where to place the patches

Old July 7th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

wrote:

Anyone know which part of the headlight to blackout?

Tony

Despite what has been said, you will need deflectors, unless you
avoid driving at night and when it rains.

The Halfords deflectors have fitting instructions that define
exactly where they have to be fitted and if you can turn off the
DRLs then do (I haven't yet seen a French registered Volvo with
running lights).

I have a V70 and on that it's an easy DIY job of 5 seconds
(including finding a small screwdriver) to turn off the DRL but
AFAIR the V80 requires a dealer to update the software, so it may
cost, in which case just fit the Halford deflectors and if need
be, adjust the light alignment down (this is all we did on our
last trip to France in May) as the alignment has a wide range.

Richard
(ROT13 to e-mail me directly). See
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk for most things to do with caravanning.
--
Top 20 Replies by Programmers When Their Programs Don't Work: 12. "You
must have the wrong version."
Old July 8th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"Tony Penner" wrote in message
Anyone know which part of the headlight to blackout?

Thanks in advance

Tony

10 days to go and counting

In the days when I bothered, if your lights are normal halogen then there
should be a triangular pattern in the glass. Mask off with masking tape the
entire triangle on the drivers side of each lens.

If you've got the Xenon then unless they are switchable you are stuffed,
although having said that I remember someone saying you can get beam
benders, though I've not seen them. It's taken several years for these
deflectors to come on to the market leaving people with RHD Xenon lights
unable to do anything about it.

Paul

Paul