Portable TV picture

Old July 6th 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Portable TV picture

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:34:18 GMT, "stephent" wrote:

| Hi,
| Why is it that sometimes the picture fill the screen to full height, and at
| another time there will be a gap top and bottom?
| It's the same on 240 or 12v, and varies from channel to channel, seemingly
| at random. Is it to do with the format the program is broadcast in?
| (Panasonic 10")

Yes!

Old July 6th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave S.

"stephent" wrote in message
Hi,
Why is it that sometimes the picture fill the screen to full height, and

at
another time there will be a gap top and bottom?
It's the same on 240 or 12v, and varies from channel to channel, seemingly
at random. Is it to do with the format the program is broadcast in?
(Panasonic 10")

Some programmes are transmitted in widescreen (16 to 9 width/height ratio)
mode as opposed to the "standard" 4 to 3.

Dave S.

Old July 6th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"stephent" wrote in message
Hi,
Why is it that sometimes the picture fill the screen to full height, and

at
another time there will be a gap top and bottom?
It's the same on 240 or 12v, and varies from channel to channel, seemingly
at random. Is it to do with the format the program is broadcast in?
(Panasonic 10")

I assume you are not useing a digibox into your 4x3 Tv, so when a
widescreen programme is being transmitted it gives a size ratio of 14x9 from
the terrestrial analogue transmission.
( For your info. if a digibox used into a widescreen Tv then the ratio is
16x9. That's is at the simplest, it does get a little more complex with
films if transmitted as shown in the cinema.)

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 6th 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JB

"David" wrote in message

"stephent" wrote in message
Hi,
Why is it that sometimes the picture fill the screen to full height, and

at
another time there will be a gap top and bottom?
It's the same on 240 or 12v, and varies from channel to channel,

seemingly
at random. Is it to do with the format the program is broadcast in?
(Panasonic 10")

I assume you are not useing a digibox into your 4x3 Tv, so when a
widescreen programme is being transmitted it gives a size ratio of 14x9

from
the terrestrial analogue transmission.
( For your info. if a digibox used into a widescreen Tv then the ratio is
16x9. That's is at the simplest, it does get a little more complex with
films if transmitted as shown in the cinema.)

Please reply to News Group.

It's a bloody nonsense to get us all to spend more money on a new TV.
Even some news and live broadcasts are in the now called old format.
In that format all the folks look fat on wide screen, black lines top or
bottom
of the screen is normal now due to some fool.......fooling around with what
was a good system.
John.

Old July 6th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"JB" wrote in message

In that format all the folks look fat on wide screen, ....

Sorry you need to set your widescreen Tv up correctly.
Or have you been to Curry's where they haven't a clue on how to install
them.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 7th 04, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:16:00 GMT, "stephent" wrote:

| Thanks everyone.
| Does that mean that the tv (which is new) is already obsolete?

Yes you should never buy anything electronic, because it will be obsolete
by the time you get it home and open the box :-( Hmmm

| Or do we change the settings a little later on, when all programs are
| broadcast with the same format?

Wishful thinking :-(((

Dave F

Old July 7th 04, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T.

"stephent" wrote in message
Hi,
Why is it that sometimes the picture fill the screen to full height, and

at
another time there will be a gap top and bottom?
It's the same on 240 or 12v, and varies from channel to channel, seemingly
at random. Is it to do with the format the program is broadcast in?
(Panasonic 10")

Thanks,
Steve

Some TV's have an option to display wide screen as against full
screen...read the manual...however as you get this only on some channels it
seems unlikely.

Old July 7th 04, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"stephent" wrote in message
Thanks everyone.
Does that mean that the tv (which is new) is already obsolete?
Or do we change the settings a little later on, when all programs are
broadcast with the same format?

Yes, obsolete in a way of speaking.
Allmost everthing we buy today in the technology field is replaced by
something ealse in the year we buy it.

Widescreen Tv is the format for many programmes and films. Our present
analogue Tv transmissions are to cease in a few years time and we will all
have to have digital Tv in some form to view. EG. Cable, satellite,
Freeview, TopUp Tv, and via Broadband telephone.

Please reply to News Group.