Ribbed waste pipe

Old July 7th 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Default Ribbed waste pipe

We've just spent two weeks on daughter's Welsh farm in our 10' Sprite.
While there the (fairly new) black corrugated waste pipe split - twice,
making a bit of a mess in the 'shack at the back' (a porch which is used for
storage as opposed to the awning at the front which is used for dining and
the hen coop).

Spouse was irritated (not an uncommon condition) so bought some standard
smooth plastic waste pipe with elbows and fitted it. I think it makes more
sense to have a smooth passage for waste and it's more sturdy so shouldn't
split easily.

Does anyone know why the corrugated stuff is used in caravans?

Mary

Old July 7th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Mary Fisher wrote:

We've just spent two weeks on daughter's Welsh farm in our 10'
Sprite. While there the (fairly new) black corrugated waste pipe
split - twice, making a bit of a mess in the 'shack at the back' (a
porch which is used for storage as opposed to the awning at the front
which is used for dining and the hen coop).

Spouse was irritated (not an uncommon condition) so bought some
standard smooth plastic waste pipe with elbows and fitted it. I think
it makes more sense to have a smooth passage for waste and it's more
sturdy so shouldn't split easily.

Does anyone know why the corrugated stuff is used in caravans?

Mary

Probably because it's light and cheap. However, caravans made in the last
few years now seem to have smooth thicker-walled stuff.

My corrugated hoses failed after about 7 or 8 years. I suspect it was
probably frost damage - caused by the fact that they always retain a small
quantity of liquid.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 7th 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:36:51 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

| We've just spent two weeks on daughter's Welsh farm in our 10' Sprite.
| While there the (fairly new) black corrugated waste pipe split - twice,
| making a bit of a mess in the 'shack at the back' (a porch which is used for
| storage as opposed to the awning at the front which is used for dining and
| the hen coop).
|
| Spouse was irritated (not an uncommon condition) so bought some standard
| smooth plastic waste pipe with elbows and fitted it. I think it makes more
| sense to have a smooth passage for waste and it's more sturdy so shouldn't
| split easily.
|
| Does anyone know why the corrugated stuff is used in caravans?

Because it is cheap and easy to fit.
Grey plastic is IMO better but harder to fit.

Dave F

Old July 7th 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

Does anyone know why the corrugated stuff is used in caravans?

The Haynes caravan manual recommends that you replace the ribbed pipe with
proper stuff. The only reasons I can think of for having the ribbed pipe is
ease of installation and, perhaps, it is better when being shaken on the
road as it won't conduct vibrations.

Christian.

Old July 7th 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
Does anyone know why the corrugated stuff is used in caravans?

The Haynes caravan manual recommends that you replace the ribbed pipe with
proper stuff.

That's interesting, thanks.

The only reasons I can think of for having the ribbed pipe is
ease of installation and, perhaps, it is better when being shaken on the
road as it won't conduct vibrations.

Yes, I thought that might have something to do with it but this 'van doesn't
go on the road anyway.

Mary

Christian.

Old July 7th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

My caravan a Bailey 2003 model does not have the flexable pipes, it has
rigid pipes.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 7th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Christian McArdle wrote:

Does anyone know why the corrugated stuff is used in caravans?

Ease of installation?

The Haynes caravan manual recommends that you replace the ribbed pipe with
proper stuff. The only reasons I can think of for having the ribbed pipe is
ease of installation and, perhaps, it is better when being shaken on the
road as it won't conduct vibrations.

When I re-routed my waste pipe adjacent to the offside wheel
arch, I found that there was flexible pipe available which
externally still had a ridged appearance, but was perfectly
smooth inside. It much improved the flow.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old July 7th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
news
Christian McArdle wrote:

Does anyone know why the corrugated stuff is used in caravans?

Ease of installation?

When I re-routed my waste pipe adjacent to the offside wheel
arch, I found that there was flexible pipe available which
externally still had a ridged appearance, but was perfectly
smooth inside.

That's interesting, I wonder where you can get it? Not that we'll be needing
it for some time.

Come to think of it - what's the advantage? Was it flexible?

It much improved the flow.

I bet it did.

Mary

Chris

Old July 7th 04, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris J Dixon

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

When I re-routed my waste pipe adjacent to the offside wheel
arch, I found that there was flexible pipe available which
externally still had a ridged appearance, but was perfectly
smooth inside.

That's interesting, I wonder where you can get it? Not that we'll be needing
it for some time.

My local caravan dealer offered it as an alternative to the
ordinary (cheaper) ridged stuff.

Come to think of it - what's the advantage? Was it flexible?

Yes, a little stiffer than the old type, but there was no
difficulty in fitting it.

Chris

Old July 8th 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message

When I re-routed my waste pipe adjacent to the offside wheel
arch, I found that there was flexible pipe available which
externally still had a ridged appearance, but was perfectly
smooth inside.

That's interesting, I wonder where you can get it? Not that we'll be

needing
it for some time.

My local caravan dealer offered it as an alternative to the
ordinary (cheaper) ridged stuff.

Come to think of it - what's the advantage? Was it flexible?

Yes, a little stiffer than the old type, but there was no
difficulty in fitting it.

Thanks, it's worth knowing. I just hope I remember it if we need it again!

Mary

Chris