Gas BBQ?

Old July 7th 04, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Default Gas BBQ?

Can anyone recommend a good medium sized one please, and maybe an online
source?
I've spent 20 yrs using charcoal, and now the kids are no longer a permanent
fixture, I though that a gas one would be more convenient...and the flavour
issue seems to be easily overcome with a few woodchips?

Steve Thomas

Old July 7th 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:05:30 GMT, "stephent"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good medium sized one please, and maybe an online
source?

I'm on my 3rd or 4th gas barby - the current one is from Calor.
Don't get one with lava rock, IMHO, they're messy and awkward to
transport. El cheapo ones tend to have ferrous parts that rot.
Mine has a sheet steel plate to distribute the heat and is a
compromise between the Cadec (sp?) type grills and true barby.. The
fat drips onto the steel plate and burns for the authentic flavour.

Mine has lid, two cooking levels, removeable legs and a dedicated
carrybag, and is ample for the two of us. In fact, it's this one:
http://www.barbecue-online.co.uk/aca...s_BBQs_84.html

Well recommended - but if you use in sans legs the piezo mechanism is
vulnerable to damage

Cheers 'n' Beers

Old July 7th 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Crawford

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good medium sized one please, and maybe an online
source?

Why not try a Cadac or Beauclaire, very popular nowadays, great tasting
food.

Jim

Old July 7th 04, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Glynn

"stephent" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good medium sized one please, and maybe an online
source?
I've spent 20 yrs using charcoal, and now the kids are no longer a

permanent
fixture, I though that a gas one would be more convenient...and the

flavour
issue seems to be easily overcome with a few woodchips?

Steve Thomas

I'd recommend the Cadac Global Grill, we had ours when they first came out
(the carry bag was free then!), we clean the main cooking areas after every
use which is well worth the effort to increase longevity, we use one of
those steel wool scourers for cleaning the main hotplate, it was well worth
the money.

Regards,

Steve.

---

Old July 8th 04, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
garmon

Once again, thanks to all who answered, the information was exactly what I
needed to make a decision.....I can smell those steaks already...pass
another can please!!
Cheers,
Steve

Old July 8th 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
sPoNiX

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good medium sized one please, and maybe an online
source?
I've spent 20 yrs using charcoal, and now the kids are no longer a permanent
fixture, I though that a gas one would be more convenient...and the flavour
issue seems to be easily overcome with a few woodchips?

If you are in the South of England check out In-Excess. They are
selling Cadac Handi-Brai gas barbecues for 39.99. They come complete
with a nylon carry bag, a set of stanbilising legs and a free cylinder
of gas!

I *think* they *may* have had some more basic Cadacs in for 20 but
I'm not sure.

It's not advertised on their website so phone before travelling! It
may be worth phoning their head office in Salisbury to see if they'll
post one to you.

http://www.in-excess.com/

sPoNiX
Old July 8th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ron

"stephent" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good medium sized one please, and maybe an online
source?
I've spent 20 yrs using charcoal, and now the kids are no longer a

permanent
fixture, I though that a gas one would be more convenient...and the

flavour
issue seems to be easily overcome with a few woodchips?

I would agree with comments on the Cadac.

What's more, the enamel flaked off the burner pan on mine and they changed
itwithout any quibble.
They didn't even want the old one back. So very good customer service for a
change

Cheeers

Ron

Old July 16th 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
NickyN

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:05:30 +0000, stephent wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good medium sized one please, and maybe an online
source?
I've spent 20 yrs using charcoal, and now the kids are no longer a permanent
fixture, I though that a gas one would be more convenient...and the flavour
issue seems to be easily overcome with a few woodchips?

I've used several different types over the years and the OMC / Broil King
Porta Chef is very good. It packs up reasonably small with detachable legs
and is very controllable.
Not too susceptible to wind (unlike me). Prices vary from 85 to around
100.

Regards
Nick
Old July 18th 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken Fraser

"Ron" wrote in message

"stephent" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good medium sized one please, and maybe an online
source?
I've spent 20 yrs using charcoal, and now the kids are no longer a

permanent
fixture, I though that a gas one would be more convenient...and the

flavour
issue seems to be easily overcome with a few woodchips?

I would agree with comments on the Cadac.

What's more, the enamel flaked off the burner pan on mine and they changed
itwithout any quibble.
They didn't even want the old one back. So very good customer service for

change

Cheeers

Ron

I've looked at a few and settled on the Cadac Safari Chef - small, but
versatile with plenty of room for cooking food for two!
Just saw through t'internet from Towsure a Cadac Safari Chef for 49.95 plus
delivery 4.95, which is about the best price I have found.
I rang the Birmingham depot to check that it was in stock before setting off
from Northampton to go and collect, plus have an hour or so being sad
looking at all the toys, but when I checked the price they said 64.95. I
then rang the order line shown on the web and they confirmed the web price
of 64.95.
Back to the trusty computer and placed an order for the confirmed online
price of 49.95.