testing the brakes ?

Old July 7th 04, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
in2minds

Default testing the brakes ?

how do I do it ?
handbrake is simple enough but how do I test the braking whilst on the
move or stationary if that's possible ?

thanks
Les

Old July 7th 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

in2minds wrote:

how do I do it ?
handbrake is simple enough but how do I test the braking whilst on the
move or stationary if that's possible ?

thanks
Les

Very difficult to do while stationary - unless you've got a special jig such
as the one shown in the Haynes Caravan Manual (made out of a modified jockey
wheel and towball) which enables the hitch to be compressed in a controlled
fashion. Even then, it doesn't test the action of the hitch damper.

Much easier to do on the move. Find a quiet bit of road and do a few test
stops - starting with gentle braking from about 20mph and gradually building
up both speed and braking effort. You should feel the van first pushing the
car forward, and then pushing the back of the car down if the brakes are
working ok. There should be no voilent shuddering or cyclic application and
release of the caravan brakes. If there is, the hitch damper is shot and
must be replaced. In an emergency, you should be able to brake really hard
from 60mph or more - and have the whole outfit come to a stop in a perfectly
orderly manner.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 7th 04, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TP

"in2minds" wrote:
how do I do it ?
handbrake is simple enough but how do I test the braking whilst on the
move or stationary if that's possible ?

Any MOT test centre can do this for you.

Old July 7th 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

TP wrote:

"in2minds" wrote:
how do I do it ?
handbrake is simple enough but how do I test the braking whilst on
the move or stationary if that's possible ?

Any MOT test centre can do this for you.

What, on a *caravan*?

--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 7th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 20:44:05 +0100, "Hitch Lock"
wrote:

Much easier to do on the move. Find a quiet bit of road and do a few test
stops - starting with gentle braking from about 20mph and gradually building
up both speed and braking effort. You should feel the van first pushing the
car forward, and then pushing the back of the car down if the brakes are
working ok. There should be no voilent shuddering or cyclic application and
release of the caravan brakes. If there is, the hitch damper is shot and
must be replaced. In an emergency, you should be able to brake really hard
from 60mph or more - and have the whole outfit come to a stop in a perfectly
orderly manner.

I would get alarmed if the caravan started to push the car forward,
the only time I ever felt this happening was with a van on the back
where the caravan brakes needed adjusting.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old July 8th 04, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

Any MOT test centre can do this for you.

What, on a *caravan*?

Why not? I you could test using the handbrake. I suppose you also could spin
the rollers so that the trailer wheels were going forwards and then reverse
the hitched tow car onto the trailer to activate the brakes.

Christian.

Old July 8th 04, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Murphy

Difficult to describe without overstating, but there is a fraction of a
second between applying the car brakes and the hitch fully compressing
against the spring and damper, until the caravan brakes kick-in. This can
"feel" as if the van is pushing the car

Old July 9th 04, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Christian McArdle wrote:

Any MOT test centre can do this for you.

What, on a *caravan*?

Why not? I you could test using the handbrake. I suppose you also
could spin the rollers so that the trailer wheels were going forwards
and then reverse the hitched tow car onto the trailer to activate the
brakes.

Christian.

Maybe! It assumes that the brake test bay is long enough to accommodate a
caravan *and* car - and that the operator is willing to use it for
no-statutory purposes.

I suspect that the person who suggested it had overlooked the fact that we
were talking about caravan brakes!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 9th 04, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

wrote:

Much easier to do on the move. Find a quiet bit of road and do a few
test stops - starting with gentle braking from about 20mph and
gradually building up both speed and braking effort. You should feel
the van first pushing the car forward, and then pushing the back of
the car down if the brakes are working ok. There should be no
voilent shuddering or cyclic application and release of the caravan
brakes. If there is, the hitch damper is shot and must be replaced.
In an emergency, you should be able to brake really hard from 60mph
or more - and have the whole outfit come to a stop in a perfectly
orderly manner.

I would get alarmed if the caravan started to push the car forward,
the only time I ever felt this happening was with a van on the back
where the caravan brakes needed adjusting.

Well then, you must get alarmed every time you apply the brakes with the van
attached - because that is just what happens! When you apply the brakes, the
car starts to slow - but it takes a finite time to apply the van brakes
before *that* starts to slow. During that time a horizontal force is
transferred to the car - mainly due to the rapid compression of the hitch
damper. Unless the seat of your pants are particularly well anaesthetised,
you can feel this force acting on the car.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock