What was your most useful modification the the van?

Old July 8th 04, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default What was your most useful modification the the van?

We all do small, and some do large, modifications to our vans. I once
read that if chosing a second hand van one should look for extra hooks
which indictes a well loved van.

So what was the most useful modification you have done on yours.

To start the ball rolling, our van was new in 1998 before speed humps
apeared absolutely everywhere. Every cupboard/locker had a 12mm lip at
the bottom of the door, to keep things inside. Then the contents of our
cupboards started jumping onto the floor when we were towing over speed
humps. I added across the bottom of every cupboard and locker door a strip
of wood about 4mm * 24mm, so now the contents no longer end up on the van
floor. The size of the strip is what was available at B&Q, so other sizes
may work as well.

Dave F
Old July 8th 04, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"David" wrote in message
Reich Motor mover.

In 12' Sprint - instant constant water heater.

In 10' Sprite - modification of bench to two seats and small table so that
we can leave double bed made up.

In both - removal of carpets and curtains.

Mary

Old July 8th 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Dave Fawthrop typed:
We all do small, and some do large, modifications to our vans. I once
read that if chosing a second hand van one should look for extra hooks
which indictes a well loved van.

So what was the most useful modification you have done on yours.

Discarded corrugated water/waste piping and used straight sided 'proper'
plumbing ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Old July 8th 04, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Reich Motor mover.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 8th 04, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes
We all do small, and some do large, modifications to our vans. I once
read that if chosing a second hand van one should look for extra hooks
which indictes a well loved van.

So what was the most useful modification you have done on yours.

To start the ball rolling, our van was new in 1998 before speed humps
apeared absolutely everywhere. Every cupboard/locker had a 12mm lip at
the bottom of the door, to keep things inside. Then the contents of our
cupboards started jumping onto the floor when we were towing over speed
humps. I added across the bottom of every cupboard and locker door a strip
of wood about 4mm * 24mm, so now the contents no longer end up on the van
floor. The size of the strip is what was available at B&Q, so other sizes
may work as well.

Dave F

Extra shelves in a couple of the lockers.
Auto switch over device between the gas bottles
Radio/CD player - much better than TV
Next up is booster amplifier for mobile phone ( for use in emergencies
only!!!!)
--
hugh
Old July 8th 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

In both - removal of carpets and curtains.

Mary

Curtains?

Old July 8th 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"John Manders" wrote in message

In both - removal of carpets and curtains.

Mary

Curtains?

I hate them. Nasty, bulky things which are usually horrid colours or, even
worse, patterns ... yeuch!

Venetian blinds are cleaner, brighter, take up less space and are easier to
close and open. They're also infinitely adjustable for light control. They
reflect artificial light instead of absorbing it.

Bliss :-)

Mary

Old July 8th 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim Pace

Without a doubt adding fans to the fridge vent the effect was astounding
when in very hot weather. Did all the resealing and all that jazz even
had the fridge serviced. Still the fans increased the the cooling effect
by heaps in the hot weather. Also when we changed the van to one with a
shower. Sheer luxury.
Tim

Dave Fawthrop typed:

Old July 8th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

In current 'van; fitting rail across shower cabinet to take wet clothes etc,
lots of hooks, thick (3") foam pad to fit above clothes rail in wardrobe,
motor mover and extra socket for microwave.

Old July 8th 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:39:50 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

So what was the most useful modification you have done on yours.

The most useful - because it gets used often - is the repacement roof
vent with built in extractor fan.

The most practical, re-routing the waste plumbing so that the last 18"
wan't uphill....

The most necessary, changed the hitch, to an Alko stabiliser, coz
Bulldog wouldn't fit new removeable swan neck towball.

For convenience, nstalled gas BBQ feed, inside the drawbar locker. ( I
tend to use the BBQ on the offside where the kitchen is)

The most labour saving, fitted Reich Mover.

Cheers 'n' Beers