Electrical socket

Old July 8th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill Leslie

Default Electrical socket

Is there some reason health & safety that there is no mains socket in the
rear shower room/dressing room or is it just my last two caravans
have not had them installed.

Bill

Old July 8th 04, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

Is there some reason health & safety that there is no mains socket in the
rear shower room/dressing room or is it just my last two caravans
have not had them installed.

Have you ever seen a mains socket in a shower room anywhere in the UK? I'm
not just talking about caravans here. BS7671 permits only a BS5750 isolated
shaver transformer.

Christian.

Old July 8th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

I'm sure I've seen hair dryers installed.

Presumably hard wired. The limitation is to sockets, not all electrical
equipment. Otherwise electric showers, shower pumps, spas and lighting would
not be permitted either!

Christian.

Old July 8th 04, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...

Have you ever seen a mains socket in a shower room anywhere in the UK? I'm
not just talking about caravans here. BS7671 permits only a BS5750

isolated
shaver transformer.

I'm sure I've seen hair dryers installed.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 8th 04, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
Is there some reason health & safety that there is no mains socket in

the
rear shower room/dressing room or is it just my last two caravans
have not had them installed.

Have you ever seen a mains socket in a shower room anywhere in the UK? I'm
not just talking about caravans here. BS7671 permits only a BS5750

isolated
shaver transformer.

Christian.

Think about it, 240 volt mains and water.
Not a good idea.
As Christian says, IEE regs don't allow mains outlets in bathrooms. There
are other restrictions as well depending on distance from water outlets.
You're not going to get a caravan bathroom big enough to be interested in
those figures.

John

Old July 8th 04, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
garmon

One final word of warning. Anyone mad enough to try putting 240volts socket
in a bathroom, should ALWAYS make sure that the missus is the ONLY one ever
to plug things in!!!!

JOKEJOKEJOKE ;-)

Old July 8th 04, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
Is there some reason health & safety that there is no mains socket in

the
rear shower room/dressing room or is it just my last two caravans
have not had them installed.

Have you ever seen a mains socket in a shower room anywhere in the UK? I'm
not just talking about caravans here. BS7671 permits only a BS5750

isolated
shaver transformer.

Its a little England/UK thing, the rest of Europe have sockets in their
bathrooms.

Paul

Old July 8th 04, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:13:05 +0200, "Paul" wrote:

| "Christian McArdle" wrote in message
| et...
| Is there some reason health & safety that there is no mains socket in
| the
| rear shower room/dressing room or is it just my last two caravans
| have not had them installed.
|
| Have you ever seen a mains socket in a shower room anywhere in the UK? I'm
| not just talking about caravans here. BS7671 permits only a BS5750
| isolated
| shaver transformer.
|

| Its a little England/UK thing, the rest of Europe have sockets in their
| bathrooms.

The French have 220V balanced about earth so the worst shock you can have
is 110V which is not as dangerous as 240V.

Dave F
Old July 8th 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TP

"Paul" wrote:

Its a little England/UK thing, the rest of Europe have sockets in their
bathrooms.

.... and in their kitchens, often within a few centimetres of water
taps and sinks etc.

But because every single domestic electrical installation is protected
by a residual current device, the risk of electrocution is so
infinitesimal that it is effectively zero.

Old July 8th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:27:32 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Is there some reason health & safety that there is no mains socket in the
rear shower room/dressing room or is it just my last two caravans
have not had them installed.

Have you ever seen a mains socket in a shower room anywhere in the UK? I'm
not just talking about caravans here. BS7671 permits only a BS5750 isolated
shaver transformer.

Christian.

Does this apply in a Caravan though?

In a house, the mains earth is to the incoming water pipe, which
makes every tap an earth. In a caravan (unless it's on a full
service site), there is no similar mains earth. The water supply
and waste are in plastic barrels which will isolate them from the
ground.

In a caravan, how would you earth yourself? Possibly the braces
might make contact with the ground, but that would require a feed
to the caravan chassis.

Just a thought.

Richard

(ROT13 to e-mail me directly). See
http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk for most things to do with caravanning.
--
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an
exception. - Groucho Marx 1890-1977