Battery Charging

Old July 9th 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Hotspur

Default Battery Charging

Hi
As you have to remove the tops from a car battery whilst charging to let explosive gas escape,do you,whilst on site connected to the mains with battery charging,still have to remove caps? I never have as it seems to charge at a lower rate.
I do have one leisure bat.with a small tube that would eliminate this but my other one does not,just wondered if there was a risk as if the tops were removed it may bubble over and destroy nearby fuse box.Thanks.

"Too soon we get old,Too late we get smart!"
Old July 9th 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Harry Hotspur wrote:

Hi
As you have to remove the tops from a car battery whilst charging to
let explosive gas escape,do you,whilst on site connected to the mains
with battery charging,still have to remove caps? I never have as it
seems to charge at a lower rate. I do have one leisure bat.with a
small tube that would eliminate this but my other one does not,just
wondered if there was a risk as if the tops were removed it may
bubble over and destroy nearby fuse box.Thanks.

My current leisure battery has a vent tube but the previous one didn't. I
don't think that the built-in chargers charge at a high enough rate for it
to be a problem - and I have never removed the caps on *either* battery.

It would be totally unacceptable if you had to remove the cell caps every
time you used mains on site. Just think what would happen if you forgot to
replace them before taking to the road again!

[When you talk about removing the caps on car batteries - this is only when
they are boost charged at a very high rate. Don't forget that the battery is
being charged by the alternator as you drive along. I assume that you don't
drive around with the caps off?!]
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 9th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Modern Batteries of all types which require charging periodically (except small
portable equipment types) have vents built in, even low/no maintenance
batteries. This is to prevent such bubbling. Most in-caravan charging systems
limit the charge to a value that is just too low for excessive gassing.

Cheers, Peter.

"Harry Hotspur" wrote in message
: Hi
: As you have to remove the tops from a car battery whilst charging to let
explosive gas escape,do you,whilst on site connected to the mains with battery
charging,still have to remove caps? I never have as it seems to charge at a
lower rate.
: I do have one leisure bat.with a small tube that would eliminate this but my
other one does not,just wondered if there was a risk as if the tops were removed
it may bubble over and destroy nearby fuse box.Thanks.
:
: "Too soon we get old,Too late we get smart!"

Old July 10th 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Hotspur

Thanks,no I meant when taking it out in winter if flat and charging car battery with charger in garage,then i remove the caps but you have answered it for me.Cheers

"Too soon we get old,Too late we get smart!"