hook-up limit?

Old July 9th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dave lympany

Default hook-up limit?

Hi,

Does anyone know the `limit` to which you can go up to when using hook-up
without it tripping out? I heard its 16 amps, but that means jack to me, as
it probably would to a lot of people like me, I understand wattage
better.........stuff like 3000 watt kettles are out, so are microwaves,
(yet most of them only use 800watts, thats not very high though is it), I
have a `caravan` kettle which is 900watts and it works fine on site, we even
use a 1200 watt hairdryer with no probs...any help please......

Dave

Old July 9th 04, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Dave, I just tell my wife to divide the watts by 250 to get the equivalent
number of amps; the actual ratio is different but if used you come into
trying to work out starting currents and so on. This is a pretty safe way
to do it.

Old July 9th 04, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

--
"dave lympany" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know the `limit` to which you can go up to when using hook-up
without it tripping out? I heard its 16 amps, but that means jack to me,

as
it probably would to a lot of people like me, I understand wattage
better.........stuff like 3000 watt kettles are out, so are microwaves,
(yet most of them only use 800watts, thats not very high though is it), I
have a `caravan` kettle which is 900watts and it works fine on site, we

even
use a 1200 watt hairdryer with no probs...any help please......

Dave

Technically if you have 16 amps to have 3680 watts available to you ( 16 x
230 ) However it will depend on how much electricity is being consumed on
site at the time you boil your kettle. A normal domestic kettle is between
2200/2400 watts. A 900 watt kettle only requires 4 amps, the hairdryer needs
6 amps. The trouble with microwaves is that the initial draw of current is
usually more than that used for cooking. Every appliance you own has
somewhere on it the maximum current on it so it should be easy to work out.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old July 9th 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

dave lympany wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know the `limit` to which you can go up to when using
hook-up without it tripping out? I heard its 16 amps, but that means
jack to me, as it probably would to a lot of people like me, I
understand wattage better.........stuff like 3000 watt kettles are
out, so are microwaves, (yet most of them only use 800watts, thats
not very high though is it), I have a `caravan` kettle which is
900watts and it works fine on site, we even use a 1200 watt hairdryer
with no probs...any help please......

Dave

Not all site supplies are 16 amps - some are 10 amps, and some continental
sites allegedly only supply 4 amps.

So the first step is to find out how many amps are available on the site in
question. The rest is easy - simply divide amps by 4 to get approx kW (not
strictly accurate, but a good first approximation).
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 9th 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:42:27 +0100, "dave lympany"
wrote:

| Hi,
|
| Does anyone know the `limit` to which you can go up to when using hook-up
| without it tripping out? I heard its 16 amps, but that means jack to me, as
| it probably would to a lot of people like me, I understand wattage
| better.........stuff like 3000 watt kettles are out, so are microwaves,
| (yet most of them only use 800watts, thats not very high though is it), I
| have a `caravan` kettle which is 900watts and it works fine on site, we even
| use a 1200 watt hairdryer with no probs...any help please......

16 amps at 240volts is 3840 watts which is slightly more power than you get
out of a single 13amp (3.12 kw) plug. Your analysis is about right if you
do not run all your high power equipment at the same time. It is a right
pain, and embarasment if you trip a breaker and have to as for it to be
reset, because on some sites the breakers are locked away.

You can *not* rely on 16 amps on *all* sites, ask before you use a hook up
to that limit. I have been on small sites which would only give a few
amps.

The best thing is to have gas available for as much as possible. Also have
as much electrical equipment as possible running on 12V. Use the hook up
to charge your battery, also run your fridge and hot water. IMO gas is
best for space heating, boiling water and cooking. Try them on 240 volts,
but if you trip the breaker, go back to gas. For the female of the
species hair dryers are essential.

Dave F (almost no hair ;-) )

Old July 9th 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dave lympany

OK, so if I use something that is say 750 watts that would in theory be
around 3 amps? and so on.......?

Dave

Old July 9th 04, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

dave lympany wrote:

OK, so if I use something that is say 750 watts that would in theory
be around 3 amps? and so on.......?

Dave

Yes.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 9th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Banjo

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:28:49 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Dave F (almost no hair ;-) )

Gas explosion?
Old July 9th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message

16 amps at 240volts is 3840 watts which is slightly more power than you

get
out of a single 13amp (3.12 kw) plug.

I know the modern 'trips' like the 16amp go as this is reached, but I wonder
if the normal13amp fuse in a plug top goes at the slightest overload?

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 9th 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TP

Banjo wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:28:49 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Dave F (almost no hair ;-) )

Gas explosion?

No doubt a result of taking his own crackpot advice
on electricity, gas or God knows what else.

;-)