Caravans to be banished to life in the slow lane

Old July 10th 04, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David B

Default Caravans to be banished to life in the slow lane

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...p?story=539811

Any thoughts anyone?

Old July 10th 04, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"David B" wrote in message
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...p?story=539811

Any thoughts anyone?

Ignore it!!!

Old July 10th 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"David B" wrote in message
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...p?story=539811

Any thoughts anyone?

"In what is described as an "experiment" ... caravans are to be restricted
to the slow lane of the M5 this summer on a steep hill west of Bristol."

The subject line is worthy of a red top headline.

One stretch of a steep hill, where caravans probably go slowly anyway, is
not banishment to life in the slow lane.

What's the problem with going slowly for a few miles instead of struggling
past other slow vehicles? It si so important?

In any case, I doubt that some caravanners will observe the rule, many
already break speed limits and lane restrictions - cars towing trailers are
even worse about that.

If we want to be regarded as responsible we should not ignore rules, we
should observe them. It's for the good of everyone. Caravanners often
complain about the bad roadmanship of other drivers, we should set an
example and be whiter than white, or far more stringent rules will be
imposed.

Mary

Old July 10th 04, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"David B" wrote in message
[...]

Mary,

I guess I fit into your category - although I consider myself to be a
considerate and carefull driver - especially when towing.

What I am getting fed up with is the increasing restriction imposed by
people in authority on what I can and cannot do.. and how and when to do it
when I can do it. If this is introduced - rather than rollover and play
dead I will just say "B***cks" to it and ignore it.

Mike

Old July 10th 04, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Mike R" wrote in message

What I am getting fed up with is the increasing restriction imposed by
people in authority on what I can and cannot do.. and how and when to do

it
when I can do it.

I do understand that - but we do expect others to keep to the rules for the
good of everyone.

If this is introduced ...

If WHAT is introduced - a restriction on one hill on one motorway?

I've seen caravans trying to overtake others on long hills and causing
problems for other drivers. I once, to my shame, did it myself through
bloody mindedness. They I realised that I was being silly and selfish. After
all, I wasn't in a race and the time saved on the total journey must have
been very small. I could have saved that by running into the services and
out again :-)

- rather than rollover and play
dead I will just say "B***cks" to it and ignore it.

You might not have to PLAY dead ...

Mary

Mike

Old July 10th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article , wrote

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...p?story=539811
Any thoughts anyone?

I don't see a problem. When on the motorway I spend most of my time
there anyway and rarely travel faster than the other occupants.

Old July 10th 04, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin

Complete crap

I'll stay in the middle lane overtaking everything else as usual.

I know this hill I can do 70mph UP it with a caravan on the back

Old July 10th 04, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robbie

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

wrote

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...p?story=539811
Any thoughts anyone?

I don't see a problem. When on the motorway I spend most of my time
there anyway and rarely travel faster than the other occupants.

I should hope not

Old July 10th 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:06:57 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"David B" wrote in message
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...p?story=539811

Any thoughts anyone?

"In what is described as an "experiment" ... caravans are to be restricted
to the slow lane of the M5 this summer on a steep hill west of Bristol."

The subject line is worthy of a red top headline.

One stretch of a steep hill, where caravans probably go slowly anyway, is
not banishment to life in the slow lane.

And it is only to be temporary until a crawler lane is built, AND it
is only to be implemented on Bank holidays and weekends "anticipated
to be busy".

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Going out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old July 10th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:24:11 +0100, "David B"
wrote:

Any thoughts anyone?

The article says that they are to be advised not complelled.

(remove the spam to reply)