Rabies Booster Vaccinations for dogs

Old July 10th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom

Default Rabies Booster Vaccinations for dogs

I'm intending taking our beloved pooch to France and Spain this autumn and
was about to apply for the new European Pet passport to the local Vet. We
have not taken her abroad before but she had her rabies jab in June 2003 and
the test was OK in July 2003.
I was under the impression that the rabies booster was due in 2005 (i.e.
Every 2 Years) .The vet receptionist now tells me that some countries in the
EU require annual boosters. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so
which countries?
Unfortunately the DEFRA site seems to close down over the weekend. Can
anyone put me out of my misery before Monday which is when I assume I can
access the DEFRA site again.
Cheers
Tom

Old July 10th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

--
"Tom" wrote in message
I'm intending taking our beloved pooch to France and Spain this autumn and
was about to apply for the new European Pet passport to the local Vet. We
have not taken her abroad before but she had her rabies jab in June 2003

and
the test was OK in July 2003.
I was under the impression that the rabies booster was due in 2005 (i.e.
Every 2 Years) .The vet receptionist now tells me that some countries in

the
EU require annual boosters. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so
which countries?
Unfortunately the DEFRA site seems to close down over the weekend. Can
anyone put me out of my misery before Monday which is when I assume I can
access the DEFRA site again.
Cheers

Tom

It might be worth having a look at this site
http://www.btinternet.com/~harryroge...lyspasport.htm if you have any
question I am sure Harry would be happy to help.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old July 10th 04, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robbie

"Tom" wrote in message
I'm intending taking our beloved pooch to France and Spain this autumn and
was about to apply for the new European Pet passport to the local Vet. We
have not taken her abroad before but she had her rabies jab in June 2003

and
the test was OK in July 2003.
I was under the impression that the rabies booster was due in 2005 (i.e.
Every 2 Years) .The vet receptionist now tells me that some countries in

the
EU require annual boosters. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so
which countries?
Unfortunately the DEFRA site seems to close down over the weekend. Can
anyone put me out of my misery before Monday which is when I assume I can
access the DEFRA site again.
Cheers
Tom

So long as your dog was vaccinated in the UK and the Pets 1 states that it
is valid for 2 years then you have nothing to worry about.

I was confronted with this situation almost two years ago. I received
conflicting information from DEFRA officials and then wrote to the EU who
confirmed, eventually, that the vaccination was valid for two years.

There is some confusion in peoples' minds about this, but at issue is where
your dog was vaccinated, the type of vaccine, and the ruling in that
country. The UK government has approved the Norbivac rabies vaccine as
being valid for two years and this is acceptable, for UK animals, throughout
the EU. The French government insists upon animals resident in France
having boosters annually. I understand that the EC is attempting to
standardise the conditions throughout the EU. They are starting with the
new EU passport.

If you vet queries this you can take it up with the EC as I did.

Old July 10th 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robbie

"Robbie" wrote in message

[...]

As a follow up to the above I have found the reply to my query to the EC.

Dear Sir,

thank you for your mail.
There is for the time being no harmonised legislation in the European Union
as regards the issue of travelling with pets, which means that national
legislation applies. However, last year the European Commission submitted a
proposal for a Regulation which indeed aims at an harmonisation of the rules
governing the movement of pets within the EU. The text has been amended
several times at the request of the European Parliament and the Council and
the proposed legislation is now in second reading with the European
Parliament. Specific provisions are still foreseen for a certain period of
time for certain Member States (Ireland, Sweden, the United Kingdom). For
your information, please find attached the text of the amended proposal.

Old July 10th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ajpee

"Tom" wrote in message ...
I'm intending taking our beloved pooch to France and Spain this autumn and
was about to apply for the new European Pet passport to the local Vet. We
have not taken her abroad before but she had her rabies jab in June 2003 and
the test was OK in July 2003.
I was under the impression that the rabies booster was due in 2005 (i.e.
Every 2 Years) .The vet receptionist now tells me that some countries in the
EU require annual boosters. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so
which countries?
Unfortunately the DEFRA site seems to close down over the weekend. Can
anyone put me out of my misery before Monday which is when I assume I can
access the DEFRA site again.
Cheers
Tom

Tom
The Rabies re-vaccination interval depends upon which vaccine was
used. Each manufacturer has slightly different intervals. The
re-vaccination date is on your vaccination certificate. Have a look
at:-
http://www.biobest.co.uk/Downloadabl..._factsheet.pdf
http://www.whvc.co.uk/rabies.html
Hope this is in time Best of luck
Al
Old July 11th 04, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom

"ajpee" wrote in message
"Tom" wrote in message

[...]

I'm very grateful to all who contributed to this thread, it's put my mind at
rest and I shall see our vet on Monday to finalise the documentation.
Much obliged
Regards
Tom