Looking for diy plans for a wind power generator

Old July 14th 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default Looking for diy plans for a wind power generator

Are ther any downloads available for a wind powered battery charger?

Old July 14th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

http://www.rainbowtradingpost.co.uk/guides1.html

Old July 14th 04, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:31:37 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

| Are ther any downloads available for a wind powered battery charger?

Beware! The planning authorities demand trees/bushes round caravan sites
which reduces windspeeds. High wind speeds are needed for a wind powered
battery charger.

Old July 14th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony

wrote:

Are ther any downloads available for a wind powered battery charger?

Beware! The planning authorities demand trees/bushes round caravan
sites which reduces windspeeds. High wind speeds are needed for a
wind powered battery charger.

Nah they don't. The one on my boat generates at very little wind.

Whether you can build one yourself that is as effective may be another
story.

Have a look at www.cat.org.uk for books containing plans. The people there
also have practical experience and will give advice.

Tony

PS: The web site takes a bit of getting used to though.

Old July 14th 04, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:02:13 +0100, "Tony" wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:31:37 +0100, "Richard"
| wrote:
|
| Are ther any downloads available for a wind powered battery charger?
|

| Beware! The planning authorities demand trees/bushes round caravan
| sites which reduces windspeeds. High wind speeds are needed for a
| wind powered battery charger.
|
| Nah they don't. The one on my boat generates at very little wind.

Boats are a different kettle of fish.
Old July 14th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony

wrote:

Are ther any downloads available for a wind powered battery
charger?

Beware! The planning authorities demand trees/bushes round caravan
sites which reduces windspeeds. High wind speeds are needed for a
wind powered battery charger.

Nah they don't. The one on my boat generates at very little wind.

Boats are a different kettle of fish.

But the generator remains the same - what's the difference? I've been
plenty of sites where the breeze is easily strong enough to power a wind
gen.

I really do find it difficult to tell you apart from the trolls. Assuming
this is you and not a troll!

Tony

Old July 14th 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:55:10 +0100, "Tony" wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:02:13 +0100, "Tony" wrote:
|
| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:31:37 +0100, "Richard"
| wrote:
|
| Are ther any downloads available for a wind powered battery
| charger?
|

| Beware! The planning authorities demand trees/bushes round caravan
| sites which reduces windspeeds. High wind speeds are needed for a
| wind powered battery charger.
|
| Nah they don't. The one on my boat generates at very little wind.
|
| Boats are a different kettle of fish.
|
| But the generator remains the same - what's the difference? I've been
| plenty of sites where the breeze is easily strong enough to power a wind
| gen.

Boats are on water which is flat. at least in two directions.
Caravan sites are normally surounded by trees, as I know to my cost trying
to get digital TV through a 50 ft tree :-((((

Old July 14th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony

wrote:

Are ther any downloads available for a wind powered battery
charger?

Beware! The planning authorities demand trees/bushes round caravan
sites which reduces windspeeds. High wind speeds are needed for
a wind powered battery charger.

Nah they don't. The one on my boat generates at very little wind.

Boats are a different kettle of fish.

But the generator remains the same - what's the difference? I've
been plenty of sites where the breeze is easily strong enough to
power a wind gen.

Boats are on water which is flat. at least in two directions.
Caravan sites are normally surounded by trees, as I know to my cost
trying to get digital TV through a 50 ft tree :-((((

I repeat - please try and pay attention: "I've
been plenty of sites where the breeze is easily strong enough to
power a wind gen."

I've also been at sea where not a breath of wind stirred and the gen stayed
silent(1).

Weather changes and being an sea or land makes little difference.

Regardless of whether a site is surrounded by trees, you will at times (and
therefore sometimes not) get enough of a breeze to charge the batts.
Sometimes the trees will even help by funelling the wind your way. Some
gens take very little to get them going, others more so.

So to the OP: Believe what you want, and do the research and choose what's
best for you, but do not believe the catagoric statements issued by our
friend and entertainer Mr. Fawthrop.

Tony

(1) When these things get going they can produce a fair bit of noise
themselves. Each gen gives stats on this.

Old July 15th 04, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

All snipped
I know that we are wandering a little on this thread but does the wind have
the same characteristics at sea as on land?
On land the wind is turbulent. It gusts and alters it's direction very
quickly. Is that the case at sea as well or does the flatter ocean give a
more stable air flow?
Obviously I have experienced wind on land but less so at sea (no joke
intended), especially as powered craft tend to mask any wind due to their
own movement through the air.

John

Old July 15th 04, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:50:16 +0100, "Tony" wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:55:10 +0100, "Tony" wrote:
|
| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:02:13 +0100, "Tony" wrote:
|
| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:31:37 +0100, "Richard"
| wrote:
|
| Are ther any downloads available for a wind powered battery
| charger?
|

| Beware! The planning authorities demand trees/bushes round caravan
| sites which reduces windspeeds. High wind speeds are needed for
| a wind powered battery charger.
|
| Nah they don't. The one on my boat generates at very little wind.
|
| Boats are a different kettle of fish.
|
| But the generator remains the same - what's the difference? I've
| been plenty of sites where the breeze is easily strong enough to
| power a wind gen.
|
| Boats are on water which is flat. at least in two directions.
| Caravan sites are normally surounded by trees, as I know to my cost
| trying to get digital TV through a 50 ft tree :-((((
|
| I repeat - please try and pay attention: "I've
| been plenty of sites where the breeze is easily strong enough to
| power a wind gen."
|
| I've also been at sea where not a breath of wind stirred and the gen stayed
| silent(1).
|
| Weather changes and being an sea or land makes little difference.
|
| Regardless of whether a site is surrounded by trees, you will at times (and
| therefore sometimes not) get enough of a breeze to charge the batts.
| Sometimes the trees will even help by funelling the wind your way. Some
| gens take very little to get them going, others more so.
|
| So to the OP: Believe what you want, and do the research and choose what's
| best for you, but do not believe the catagoric statements issued by our
| friend and entertainer Mr. Fawthrop.

I have Googled the subject and find that the situation is worse than I
thought.

The planning authorities often insist on hedges/trees around caravan sites
to reduce visual intrusion on the landscape. They are however
effective windbreaks which are studied and planted in the USA for use
on the prairies.

The percentage reduction of the free flowing wind depends on the
height of the trees and the distance away from the trees.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/...windbreaks.pdf

78% 5* 66 10* 39% 15*, 14% 20*

This is the *reduction* of wind speed, thus at a distance 5 times the
height of the hedge is only 22% of the uninterrupted wind speed.

Windbreaks direct winds over or around protected areas. This reduction
in wind speed results in many benefits. The amount of wind speed
reduction and the area affected depend on the height, density, width,
and shape of the windbreak. The continuity of the windbreak is
important. Holes or gaps in the windbreak may result in increased wind
speed and reduced protection.

Windbreak height (x) is the most important factor used to determine
the distance downwind that is protected by a windbreak. Wind speed is
reduced most nearest the windbreak; at distances of 25 to 30x wind
speed is reduced less than 10 percent. In addition there is a small
reduction in wind speed up to one to 4x on the upwind side of a
windbreak The taller the windbreak, the greater the zone of
protection. The percent of reduction in wind speed is relatively
constant and is mostly independent of wind velocity. The density of a
windbreak also affects the reduction of wind speed. Density is the
ratio of the solid portion of a windbreak to the total area of the
barrier. Very dense windbreaks reduce wind speed in the zero to 10x
zone more than do less dense windbreaks. Moderately dense windbreaks
reduce wind speed over a greater distance than very dense windbreaks.
A windbreak density of 55 to 85 percent provides the greatest
combination of benefits. For some specialty functions such as snow
capture, a density of 30 to 40 percent may be ideal.

http://www.fact-index.com/w/wi/wind_turbine.html

Power output from a wind generator is proportional to the cube of the
wind speed. As wind speed doubles, the capacity of wind generators
increases eightfold.

Thus on the sites I frequent where I pitch less than 5 times the
height of the hedge, power generated by a wind generator will be
roughly 0.22*0.22*.022=0.01 (1%) of the power would be generated.
If one pitches on a cliff top site the power available will be more.
On a boat, where the wind is blowing over a large body of water
little reduction of wind speed, or power will occur.