Battery Voltage question.

Old July 15th 04, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Default Battery Voltage question.

stephent wrote:

Hi,
Just as a matter of interest (to me anyway!!), I had one battery being
charged via hook-up in the van, and another on charge in my workshop.
I decided to swap them around just to see how the charging systems
compared. When I disconnected them and tested them with a voltmeter,
they both showed a reading of 12.68v...fine. The following day I
checked again just to see if there was a difference, and the one
which I had taken off the caravan and just left on the floor of the
workshop overnight gave a reading of 12.99v. Does this mean that if I
leave in on the floor for long enough, I will have the most powerful
battery known to man?
Seriously though, I would like to know why this happens please!
Thanks,
Steve.

It probably means that the workshop is bit warmer than the battery locker in
the caravan.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 15th 04, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Thought 12.7 V was the most you could get in, IE Full charge.

Is your voltmeter OK?

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 15th 04, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Brand new from Halfords a couple of weeks ago!

Old July 15th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"stephent" wrote in message
news
Brand new from Halfords a couple of weeks ago!

Yes, but have you checked it out with someone ealses say.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 15th 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Hudson

Three possible causes:
1. Charging may have stopped but the chemical process continues for
some time afterwards. If you check after removing it from charge,
you will see it is still gassing, so there could well be a slight
rise in charge state.
2. Did you check the one in the caravan too?
If that had not changed you might well have a very small surface
discharge when connected due to the slight currents which can pass
through any dirt and damp on the battery casing.
3.Charge state is very dependent on ambient temperature (which is
why car batteries usually fail in winter). Bet your garage is warmer
than your van's battery box!

Hope this helps,but privately, I like your idea best!

Old July 16th 04, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:37:48 GMT, "stephent" wrote:

| Thanks for all of the info/advice. I think probably that the process was
| still ongoing when I removed the battery, and it gained a bit through that
| and the temp.
| We're off to the Royal Welsh Show tomorrow, no hook-ups just the two 110Ah
| batteries, so we shall see. Shower, telly etc for 6 days, but I've also set
| up a short gizmo (grey plug and lead, with battery box in boot) to charge
| the spar battery when we use the car.

If possible swap the batteries each day, so that any charge used can be
replaced as soon as possible.

Dave F

Old July 16th 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
stephent

Thanks for all of the info/advice. I think probably that the process was
still ongoing when I removed the battery, and it gained a bit through that
and the temp.
We're off to the Royal Welsh Show tomorrow, no hook-ups just the two 110Ah
batteries, so we shall see. Shower, telly etc for 6 days, but I've also set
up a short gizmo (grey plug and lead, with battery box in boot) to charge
the spar battery when we use the car.
We'll see!
Cheers,
Steve.