Removing 'Fridge

Old July 15th 04, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Default Removing 'Fridge

The fridge in my '98 Sterling Europa has tilted backwards in its cabinet. It
still works ok but the door will not stay open because of the tilt! If I
remove the plastic vents on the outside of the 'van I can push the top of
the fridge forwards again, but it will not stay upright. Clearly something
has come adrift and I want to remove the fridge in order to fix the problem.
Can anyone advise - is the gas connection flexible to enable the fridge to
be withdrawn without kinking a copper pipe?

Kev

Old July 15th 04, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Uno Hoo! wrote:

The fridge in my '98 Sterling Europa has tilted backwards in its
cabinet. It still works ok but the door will not stay open because of
the tilt! If I remove the plastic vents on the outside of the 'van I
can push the top of the fridge forwards again, but it will not stay
upright. Clearly something has come adrift and I want to remove the
fridge in order to fix the problem. Can anyone advise - is the gas
connection flexible to enable the fridge to be withdrawn without
kinking a copper pipe?

Kev

I don't know about your specific van - but on my 1991 Bailey, there is a
long braided flexible pipe running from a low level tap in an adjacent
locker up to where it connects to the fridge - at high level, just behind
the front panel. More recent vans probably use rigid pipe, but it should
have enough give in it to be able to pull the fridge out for a couple of
inches - when you can then disconnect it.

When you put the fridge back, it is far easier to re-assemble the flue
components with the external grills removed. Make sure you re-fit the grills
with flexible (non-drying) sealant.

Incidentally, my fridge had a slight tendancy to tilt back - by coming away
from its fixings at the lower front. I suspect that it's not supported
adequately (if at all!) underneath at the back. I have cured mine by using
larger screws to hold it in at the front.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 15th 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message
Uno Hoo! wrote:

The fridge in my '98 Sterling Europa has tilted backwards in its
cabinet. It still works ok but the door will not stay open because of
the tilt! If I remove the plastic vents on the outside of the 'van I
can push the top of the fridge forwards again, but it will not stay
upright. Clearly something has come adrift and I want to remove the
fridge in order to fix the problem. Can anyone advise - is the gas
connection flexible to enable the fridge to be withdrawn without
kinking a copper pipe?

Kev

I had a similar prob the sub frame in the cabinet housing had
disintegrated - mainly due to the economical length of fixing screws. The
fridge is usually easy to move forward in most caravans the gas pipe is
normally run diagonally across the top to allow for movement just be careful
it does not snag - probably easier with two people if there is sufficient
room for both. also dismantle flue extension before moving. Best 'o' Luck

Roy
www.pikey.ne1.net

Old July 15th 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Halley

The framing inside the cabinet has either split, or fallen off. It is best
to remove the fridge and resecure, or fabriacte new straps to suit. Gas test
the van before fridge removal, then gas test after. Testing before lets you
know that everything else is OK, so any leaks after will be the joint you
have removed.

Cheers

David
www.halleycaravans.com

Old July 15th 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Many thanks to all who responded - most helpful. I'll give it a try this
weekend.

Kev