is it better to buy a caravan in france or uk?

Old July 15th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ger

Default is it better to buy a caravan in france or uk?

could you tell me if it is better to buy in france or uk?

are there any problems in bringing it back (do i have to notify
customs or pay extra tax/vat)?

what are the best makes to buy?

where are the best dealers in brittany?
Old July 15th 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Johnny

ger wrote:
could you tell me if it is better to buy in france or uk?

From my experience second hand caravans are considerably more expensive in
France.

Johnny

Old July 15th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

--
"ger" wrote in message
om...
could you tell me if it is better to buy in france or uk?

are there any problems in bringing it back (do i have to notify
customs or pay extra tax/vat)?

what are the best makes to buy?

where are the best dealers in brittany?

Ger

Several regular people that contribute here have purchased caravans directly
from Germany, not seen anyone say about buying in France. We did talk to
some people at a site near Dover who just got a new van from Calais
Caravans. No problem with tax and VAT as any van purchased in the EU will be
duty and tax paid. The only thing you need sort out is the insurance. Some
have experienced difficulty with some insurance companies in trying to
insure vans from the EU, I think the Caravan Club and NFU are OK about them
but it would be best to check before you commit yourself.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old July 15th 04, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , David
klyne muttered:
Several regular people that contribute here have purchased caravans directly
from Germany, not seen anyone say about buying in France.

Hi David, as you know - I'm one of them!

As David said, no problems at all with customs (or any other
administrative stuff). In fact, the whole process is effortless once
you've decided what you want...

From a re-sale and spares point of view, a 'van which is available in
the UK is a good idea. Biggest 'van manufacturer in Europe is Hobby,
although an excellent 'van to bring back to the UK would be a Hymer.
Euro rate is not as attractive now as it was when I got my 'van, but
you'll still save loads.

We've all been able to obtain insurance easily enough, although as David
rightly points out the choice is restricted as some insurers won't
insure foreign manufactured 'vans.

'Ger', check your email for my fact sheet.

--
Andy