What's a troll?

Old July 16th 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Default What's a troll?

what's a troll?

Old July 16th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

John wrote:

what's a troll?

Assuming you're not one (!), someone who posts contentious articles - often
cross-posted to many NGs - with the sole aim of stirring up trouble,
upsetting as many people as possible and disrupting the normal operation of
the NG.

[That may not be the strict dictionary definition, but it gives the gist of
the thing.]

--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 16th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message
John wrote:

what's a troll?

Assuming you're not one (!), someone who posts contentious articles -

often
cross-posted to many NGs - with the sole aim of stirring up trouble,

I'm not sure that's the aim but it is the effect more often than not - until
folk decide not even to read their posts.

Mary

Old July 16th 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

It could be you!

Old July 16th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Banjo

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:02:47 +0100, "John"
wrote:

what's a troll?

Dave Fawthrop.

Old July 16th 04, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dogonabeach

"John" wrote in message
what's a troll?

Taken from Guy Macon in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

An open letter to the internet from Trolls United Against Defamation:

First an introduction - what I'd like to talk about are "Trolls" - we've
been much maligned over the years but we've decided to come out from under
our 'bridges' and once again take our rightful place in society.

Many of you older readers may remember the friendly little man who lived
under the courthouse steps in your home town, he was a well-liked and
respected member of the community, your parents approved of his occupation
and understood that "it was a tough job, but someone had to do it". In
small town America in the '50s no one questioned the valuable place your
local trolls played in society.

Readers who grew up in the '60s may remember being distraught by Oppie's
special friend Max's sudden disappearance from Mayberry after the actor
who played him was blacklisted following the McCarthy hearings.

Let me try and explain the whole sordid story as briefly as possible.
It all started with what we trolls commonly refer to as "that goat
incident".
Back in the spring of 1964 there were wild press reports from Eastern Europe
about a poor hungry troll eating some goats who woke him up while sleeping
under a bridge - naturally the press blew it way out of proportion, someone
noticed that not only were there trolls behind the iron curtain, but here
in the US too - Joe McCarthy (a lawyer!) came out of retirement and started
up 'HURT' the 'House Unamerican Reaction to Trolls' - Trolls were
subpoenaed,
question, publicly vilified and driven from their occupations all across
the country, in the south trolls were driven from town by the KKK on
horseback.
Those trolls whom survived moved to the wilder parts of the country to hide
out, some even moved north to Canada.

At the time our knowledge of ecology and ecosystems was not great enough
for anybody to predict the horrible results this would cause. As the
Soviets were finding out by the '60s if you take away it's usual prey a
predator will turn elsewhere. They banned lawyers in most communist
countries, which of course explains the plight of that poor hungry troll
under that bridge that started this whole mess.

After banning Trolls the US is now suffering from a most horrible scourge.
Just like removing the wolves from Yellowstone resulted in Elk herds that
multiplied out of control and devastated the grazing for all other species,
taking your local troll out from his usual place below the courthouse steps
has resulted in lawyers multiplying completely out of control with dire
consequences to all parts of society.

We intend to once again become the respected useful members of society
our parents and grandparents were. And after much soul-searching we
realized that we would need good legal council. As you might imagine
this was hard to come by, so we decided that we needed to train some of
our own people in the law. I, and my colleagues, worked our way through
law school, it was hard, we suffered under much discrimination from
the faculty, we spent long nights suffering working through the law
books, and days resisting temptation in class. In the end we graduated
top of our class - in fact in that year we were the only ones who
surv^H^H^H^Hgraduated.

We moved into private practice as "Troll, Troll, Troll and Bandicoot"
mostly doing civil rights law for other trolls. Recently you may have
heard of the very substantial out of court settlement we received from
the Tolkien estate in our libel case. We intend to use this money to
fund future legal work for our clients.

Which brings me to the main purpose of this letter .... it has come to
our attention that some people on the internet have been using the name
'troll' in a negative, derogatory manner. This must stop immediately.
Along with our co-litigants the Spam Industry Council we are today
serving a class action suit, on behalf of all trolls everywhere, on
all people who have participated in the practice of 'trolling'.

We were lucky that the law firm of Canter&Siegel after some initial
reluctance were yum^H^H^H able to help us in searching the Usenet
archives to discover the perpetrators and to electronically serve all
those who were found responsible.

I hope that this will be the end of this matter.

Thank you for your attention

Timothy T. Troll
Attorney at Law
Troll, Troll, Troll, and Bandicoot

Trolls United will never be defeated - take a lawyer to lunch

Old July 17th 04, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:02:47 +0100, "John" wrote:

| what's a troll?

There are various definitions see:
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

Get your own personal Troll.
http://www.norwayshop.com/trollshop
http://tinyurl.com/jerv http://tinyurl.com/jes3

Dave F
Old July 17th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"dogonabeach" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

No, I'm bored already.

Mary

Old July 17th 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony

Mary Fisher wrote:
"dogonabeach" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
what's a troll?

Let me try and explain the whole sordid story

No, I'm bored already.

Surprised you got that far!

Tony

Old July 18th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Boss

In article , "dogonabeach" mark
says...

"John" wrote in message
[...]

EXCELLENT!
ROFL.
The Boss
--
The camshaft timing belt is an abomination spawned by Satan!