Porch Awnings

Old July 17th 04, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart

Default Porch Awnings

I want to buy a porch awning, are they all a standard size. Should I get one
to fit my van specifically

Old July 17th 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
liz hall

We bought a porch awning as our big one was very large to put up from
someone who bought a new van and the awning was too short. The porch one is
a bit short on our van and it is at the front end, so I am sure the height
of some vans vary. You have to get a good seal between the side of the van
where there is no channel and our window and door are not really in the
right place for it. We have come to the conclusion we need a three-quarter
awning for our 17' van but I don;t think there is such a thing! Seems to
rest on where your doors and windows are and maybe just as fiddly to put up.
This may help you decide.
Liz

Old July 17th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Stuart wrote:

I want to buy a porch awning, are they all a standard size. Should I
get one to fit my van specifically

Some fit to the middle of the van, and some start at one end but only go
part way along. Which sort is best for you probably depends on where the
door is.

For the ones which fit to the middle of the van, the important dimensions
are the awning rail height from the ground, and the width. The height needs
to match your van. The width needs to be such that you enclose the van door
plus whichever other sections of the van you want to include, hopefully
without having either of its side walls in the middle of a van window.

The other sort sometimes starts off as a full awning designed for a shorter
van - and follows the awning rail round from one end, partway along the van.
At a point equal to the awning rail height measured from the far end of the
awning beading, the beading is cut to allow the awning to come down
vertically at that point, rather than continuing to follow the channel. A
fixing for a roof pole is sewn in close to where the cut is made. If you
have this type of awning, the cut and the roof pole fixing have to be in the
right place to match the height of your van. Again, you need to ensure that
it covers the right bits of the van, and doesn't come down in the middle of
a window.

Hope this makes sense!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 17th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Rogers

"Stuart" wrote in message
I want to buy a porch awning, are they all a standard size. Should I get

one
to fit my van specifically

The other option is to get a standard awning and buy the kit that makes it
like a porch. My van is a 20ft body length. Didn't need a full awning. So
bought a 15 ft awning and this is what looks like.
http://www.btinternet.com/~harryrogers/awning.jpg

Leaves the front of the van free from canvas.

Harry