Thetford problems

Old July 18th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
sPONiX

Default Thetford problems

In-laws have a camper van and have been away in it twice. On both
occasions the Thetford loo has suffered a catastrophic failure and
flooded the floor!

The first time a camper van shop sorted the loo out but they didn't
say what the problem was. I haven't (yet) seen it and I'm not familiar
with how they work so am wondering what I'm in for!

Are there any common faults with Thetfords that'd cause them to flood?
Is there an 'incorrect' way of using them that'd cause these problems?
Once is unlucky but twice in two trips is a bit of a coincidence..

sPoNiX
Old July 18th 04, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

sPONiX wrote:

In-laws have a camper van and have been away in it twice. On both
occasions the Thetford loo has suffered a catastrophic failure and
flooded the floor!

The first time a camper van shop sorted the loo out but they didn't
say what the problem was. I haven't (yet) seen it and I'm not familiar
with how they work so am wondering what I'm in for!

Are there any common faults with Thetfords that'd cause them to flood?
Is there an 'incorrect' way of using them that'd cause these problems?
Once is unlucky but twice in two trips is a bit of a coincidence..

sPoNiX

I assume that's a cassette toilet - with a separate removeable (for
emptying) waste container, and with the flushing liquid container integral
with the body of the toilet?

If so, the waste container should not spill provided they don't travel with
a blade open. They *don't*, do they?

If it's like my toilet, there will be a toilet roll compartment alongside
the bowl. This is removeable to get at the flushing pump, and sealed in with
'O' rings. When you remove this, you're straight into the large chamber
holding the flushing fluid. It the toilet roll holder isn't fitted properly,
or is faulty, and it they are travelling with the flushing chamber fullish,
this could result in flushing fluid sloshing around when on the move.

Another thought. If they have an electric flushing model, and if the switch
for this is faulty, it might just switch itself on, and empty the flushing
chamber into the bowl - from where it might slosh onto the floor. There
should be a separate isolation switch for this, which should be switched off
to travel, to make sure this can't happen.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 18th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article , wrote
sPONiX wrote:

[...]

It can be an easy thing to neglect.

If it's like my toilet, there will be a toilet roll compartment alongside
the bowl. This is removeable to get at the flushing pump, and sealed in with
'O' rings. When you remove this, you're straight into the large chamber
holding the flushing fluid. It the toilet roll holder isn't fitted properly,
or is faulty, and it they are travelling with the flushing chamber fullish,
this could result in flushing fluid sloshing around when on the move.

Another thought. If they have an electric flushing model, and if the switch
for this is faulty, it might just switch itself on, and empty the flushing
chamber into the bowl - from where it might slosh onto the floor. There
should be a separate isolation switch for this, which should be switched off
to travel, to make sure this can't happen.

Well you seem to have altered your view. I think my advice
would be to empty the fecking thing before travel then if there
is a failure of any kind you don't get the above problem eh???

Old July 19th 04, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

kqr wrote:

Well you seem to have altered your view. I think my advice
would be to empty the fecking thing before travel then if there
is a failure of any kind you don't get the above problem eh???

No, I have *not* changed my view - and shall continue to travel with the
flush chamber full - for reasons which I explained in an earlier thread.

Since these people had apparently suffered from flooding, I was simply
wracking my brain to try to think what could conceivably have gone wrong in
their case. I have no *personal* experience of such problems!

--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old July 19th 04, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"sPONiX" wrote in message
In-laws have a camper van and have been away in it twice. On both
occasions the Thetford loo has suffered a catastrophic failure and
flooded the floor!

The first time a camper van shop sorted the loo out but they didn't
say what the problem was. I haven't (yet) seen it and I'm not familiar
with how they work so am wondering what I'm in for!

Are there any common faults with Thetfords that'd cause them to flood?
Is there an 'incorrect' way of using them that'd cause these problems?
Once is unlucky but twice in two trips is a bit of a coincidence..

sPoNiX

If the van and toilet are getting on in years then the seal on the waste
tank can dry out and not seal as good as it used to. Make sure they use the
toilet with the blade open as the "liquid" sits against the seal and can run
down and come out on the floor. If the seal is dry it needs a blast of
silicon spray (but I'm assuming that was done first repair time but do
check).

You didn't say what is leaking, if it is waste then the waste container
doesn't have any seals on the bottom of the tank so it must have slopped out
when driving. If it is fresh water then the holding tank need looking at.
I have seen an exploded view of the toilet somewhere perhaps on the site, I
know my dealer has a catalogue of all the parts.

Paul

Old July 19th 04, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

Well you seem to have altered your view. I think my advice
would be to empty the fecking thing before travel then if there
is a failure of any kind you don't get the above problem eh???

No, I have *not* changed my view - and shall continue to travel with the
flush chamber full - for reasons which I explained in an earlier thread.

Since these people had apparently suffered from flooding, I was simply
wracking my brain to try to think what could conceivably have gone wrong

in
their case. I have no *personal* experience of such problems!

My tank has never leaked either and I always leave the water tank with what
is left after a week end. It only gets emptied when frost is about.

Paul