TYRON BANDS

Old July 18th 04, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Default TYRON BANDS

I was under the impression that some years ago caravan manufacturers had
incorporated a ridge in caravan wheel rims (akin to those in car wheel rims)
to help the prevention of tyres peeling off in a blow out. However I noticed
that some recent vans up for sale included Tyron bands.

My Sterling is 2 years old with what I understood to be the new norm of
improved 14inch wheel rims. I enquired with the dealer whether Tyron bands
would be superfluous to my van and was told that the caravan rim is provided
with a channel that will "seat" the tyron band and broadly the suggestion
was that the band/s would be a wise addition.

Am I alone in thinking that the manufacturers had said they would address
the wheel rim / blowout issue. If safety is important to dealers and
manufacturers shouldnt all new vans have Tyron bands as standard ? Anybody
else looked into this ?

Mike

Old July 18th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Do not know the answer to your question, but my previous caravan had them.
What I found out was that if I did have a requirement to have the tyre
changed it was going to be difficult to find a tyre fitter who knew how to
change tyres with them fitted. Not a good situation if you have a blow out
far from home.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 18th 04, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:13:38 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

| I was under the impression that some years ago caravan manufacturers had
| incorporated a ridge in caravan wheel rims (akin to those in car wheel rims)
| to help the prevention of tyres peeling off in a blow out. However I noticed
| that some recent vans up for sale included Tyron bands.
|
| My Sterling is 2 years old with what I understood to be the new norm of
| improved 14inch wheel rims. I enquired with the dealer whether Tyron bands
| would be superfluous to my van and was told that the caravan rim is provided
| with a channel that will "seat" the tyron band and broadly the suggestion
| was that the band/s would be a wise addition.
|
| Am I alone in thinking that the manufacturers had said they would address
| the wheel rim / blowout issue. If safety is important to dealers and
| manufacturers shouldnt all new vans have Tyron bands as standard ? Anybody
| else looked into this ?

We have them fitted, because CCC insurance gives you 10% off if they are
fitted. I hope that we will never know if they *do* improve safety.

Dave F
Old July 18th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:17:52 GMT, "David" wrote:

| Do not know the answer to your question, but my previous caravan had them.
| What I found out was that if I did have a requirement to have the tyre
| changed it was going to be difficult to find a tyre fitter who knew how to
| change tyres with them fitted. Not a good situation if you have a blow out
| far from home.

I carry a spare wheel complete with tyre, so we can wait to get a new tyre
fitted.

Dave F

Old July 18th 04, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David klyne

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I have had Tyron Safety Bands fitted to my last 3 caravans, includind the
newest one purchased this year. I once had a puncture whilst we were in
Scotland, did not notice it until we got to the site! I had to instruct the
tyre fitter at the garage how to change the tyre, so it pays to carry the
instructions with you. Having seen the affect on someone elses caravan a
blow out has had on a the van I am totally convinced they are an essential
bit of caravan kit and I do not understand why manufacturers don't fit them
as standard.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old July 18th 04, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony

David wrote:
"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message

I carry a spare wheel complete with tyre, so we can wait to get a
new tyre fitted.

Yes but what if your other side goes as well?
Do you carry 2 spares?
The time I had a tyre go and put the spare on ! hour later the other
went.

Well you have to plan to minimise the chances and beat the odds - the odds
on both tyres going must be huge!

Any idea why both went? Handbrake turns in the Asda car park :-)

Tony

Old July 18th 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:29:05 GMT, "David" wrote:

| "Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
|

| I carry a spare wheel complete with tyre, so we can wait to get a new tyre
| fitted.
|

| Yes but what if your other side goes as well?

Statistically unlikely

| Do you carry 2 spares?

No

| The time I had a tyre go and put the spare on ! hour later the other went.

The exception which proves the rule (statistics).
I would call the RAC, I pay them to get me out of jams.

Dave F

Old July 18th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message

The exception which proves the rule (statistics).
I would call the RAC, I pay them to get me out of jams.

Yes when both mine went I was thankfull for Green Flag.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 18th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Tony" wrote in message

- the odds
on both tyres going must be huge!

Put it down to both the same age, and whatever in the past happened to both.
But it took Green Flag over 2 hours to come to me, control had told me there
would be a delay as a high number of caravan tyres had gone that day. Maybe
it was an exceptionally hot day.

In all my years of motoring I've found that if one car tyre failed another
went within a week, so as soon as I have a puncture and have spare on I get
it repaired same day.

Once run over a nail in a piece of wood, it took front and back out!

Please reply to News Group.