Which battery?

Old July 18th 04, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian Harwood

Default Which battery?

Scenario :

I wish to buy two batteries for my van as I need to have 24VDC for my
recently installed Eberspacher heater. It is the older type that uses a glow
plug ,and therefore, on start-up draws 20Amps for about 2 mins, then runs on
about 0.5 - 1 amp until the thermostat cuts the heat off, when the temp
drops the glow plug kicks in and around in a circle we go again. On top of
this there is all the usual electrical items to run which are all a low,
slow, current drain.
The question is, would two leisure batteries be ok, or would I be better off
with heavy duty normal car/light truck batteries, bearing in mind the 20 amp
draw intermittently.
I am ok with the wiring and charging aspect with it being 24 volt it is just
the question of which is best.

Thanks in advance

Brian

Old July 19th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian Harwood

"Brian Harwood" wrote in message
[...]

By saying "two batteries for my van" I did mean caravan.
Thought I would make this clear in case non of you are answering me, and
thought I was posting in the wrong group.

Brian

Old July 19th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian Harwood

"Paul" wrote in message

By saying "two batteries for my van" I did mean caravan.
Thought I would make this clear in case non of you are answering me, and
thought I was posting in the wrong group.

No I'm sure its not that, but I for one know nothing of 24v batteries and

if
20amp draw would wreck a leisure battery. Sounds like a large/loud heater
though!

Paul

It would be two 12v batteries wired to give 24v....its not the voltage or
wiring that is the problem at all...I can sort out that side of things
ok...it is just whether the 20 amps on a short duration would be
ok....although I suppose technically it would be 10 amps per battery

Brian

Old July 19th 04, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul

"Paul" wrote in message

By saying "two batteries for my van" I did mean caravan.
Thought I would make this clear in case non of you are answering me,

and
thought I was posting in the wrong group.

No I'm sure its not that, but I for one know nothing of 24v batteries

and
if
20amp draw would wreck a leisure battery. Sounds like a large/loud

heater
though!

Paul

It would be two 12v batteries wired to give 24v....its not the voltage or
wiring that is the problem at all...I can sort out that side of things
ok...it is just whether the 20 amps on a short duration would be
ok....although I suppose technically it would be 10 amps per battery

Brian

Have you tried www.batteryfaq.org ?

Paul

Old July 19th 04, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Brian Harwood wrote:

It would be two 12v batteries wired to give 24v....its not the
voltage or wiring that is the problem at all...I can sort out that
side of things ok...it is just whether the 20 amps on a short
duration would be ok....although I suppose technically it would be 10
amps per battery

Brian

I've no idea whether the batteries mind 20 amps or not. What I *do* know, is
that it ain't 10 amps per battery!

With the batteries wired in *series* to produce 24v, the *same* current -
i.e. 20 amps - flows through both. Only by wiring them in *parallel* - in
which case you'd only have 12v - would the current be shared and would be 10
amps per battery.

I presume you will connect them in parallel to charge them from a 12v
system, and then change over to series operation to power your heater? Have
you got some fairly hefty switches to do this?
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock