New refillable LPG cylinders - any experiences?

Old July 21st 04, 02:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campernan

Default New refillable LPG cylinders - any experiences?

I have heard of a new type of LP gas cylinder for sale in the UK that you
can refill yourself at any service station that sells LPG fuel for cars.
Reportedly very handy for trips to Europe, as with a simple adaptor you can
fill it at French service stations too. Maybe need another adaptor for other
countries as there are several differing LPG fillers on European cars.

They have only just come on the market and are made by a UK company called
Gaslow (they will send you a brochure if you ask here)

They come in 6Kg and 11Kg sizes. The larger being about 78 GBP retail. You
also need some sort of filling kit that costs another 58 GBP, but if you are
doing a long tour of Europe the savings on gas alone would soon compensate
for the cost.

I'm thinking of buying one and ditching my Calor 13KG cylinder. I believe
they use the same LH POL adaptor that RED Calor cylinders use, so I can just
connect it to my van with no change of regulator.

Has anyone had any experience with them?
Any problems in refilling at European service stations etc?

Thanks in advance.

Old July 21st 04, 05:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TP

"Campernan" wrote:

I have heard of a new type of LP gas cylinder for sale in the UK that you
can refill yourself at any service station that sells LPG fuel for cars.
Reportedly very handy for trips to Europe, as with a simple adaptor you can
fill it at French service stations too. Maybe need another adaptor for other
countries as there are several differing LPG fillers on European cars.

They have only just come on the market and are made by a UK company called

SPAM.

Please post your unsolicited commercial adverts to the relevant
newsgroups, not here.

Old July 21st 04, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Wonder if orginal poster works for this cylinder cpmpany.

Anyway it seems a large outlay for cylinder and kit.

I did use Calor Propane in the lighter 11kg cylinders ans it cost me 13'ish
to refill. I now use Flowgas in same size at 7-45 (last year price) a
refil.

What do these diy refillable cylinders cost to fill ?

Unless a big saving I think I would never get the outlay back.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 21st 04, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

What do these diy refillable cylinders cost to fill ?

Unless a big saving I think I would never get the outlay back.

I think it is as much about being able to refill them than the cost.
Refilling a Calor in Europe can be problematic.

Christian.

Old July 21st 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ROBIN DUMPLETON

As it happens we're selling an alternative refillable but getting a lot of
flack off vested interests. Cost of gas in 11Kg cylinder at autogas point is
about 4.00 cheaper on the continent. Actual cost of gas is 2.00

Robin

wrote in message

On 21-Jul-2004, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I think it is as much about being able to refill them than the cost.
Refilling a Calor in Europe can be problematic.

I agree - I think the convenience of having the same system (well apart

from
the odd adapter) for UK and Europe would be the only thing that would
convince me to invest in one. On the down side; I understand that you

need
a refill system that is a modification to the van and you have to take the
van to the fill-up point rather than just the cylinder.

Mike