fixing jockey wheel bracket to draw bar

Old July 21st 04, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dave

Default fixing jockey wheel bracket to draw bar

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to drill 2 no 10mm holes in 3" galvanised
section to fix a new jockey wheel bracket, the old bracket is shot, and is
housed inside the `A` frame, I want to mount a new one on outside of box
section which would mean me drilling the two holes to take bracket, would
this weaken the draw bar in anyway?

help please.........Dave

Old July 21st 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:17:26 +0100, "dave"
wrote:

| Hi
|
| Can anyone tell me if it is safe to drill 2 no 10mm holes in 3" galvanised
| section to fix a new jockey wheel bracket, the old bracket is shot, and is
| housed inside the `A` frame, I want to mount a new one on outside of box
| section which would mean me drilling the two holes to take bracket, would
| this weaken the draw bar in anyway?

Which caravan?
Frame made by who?

Dave F

Old July 21st 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 21st 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dave

Alko frame trophy caravan, however I think this info is irrelavant, its just
the basic strength of drilling the 3" x2" box section I want to know, and
has anybody done it in passed without any problems.....

Old July 21st 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
dave

Old July 21st 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:29:04 +0100, "dave"
wrote:

Alko frame trophy caravan, however I think this info is irrelavant, its just
the basic strength of drilling the 3" x2" box section I want to know, and
has anybody done it in passed without any problems.....

Alko recommend that no holes are drilled into their Chassis. Whether
this advice was being given when your caravan was built I do not know
but it was certainly being given in the early 90's.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old July 21st 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I would not drill holes in the frame. Last year my brother had an old
caravan with a similar problem; I got a short piece of channel and clamped
it around the frame then bolted the wheel bracket to this.

Old July 22nd 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Manders

You mention box section. Is it really a box section or just channel?
The draw bar takes 2 types of force, tension/compression and bending. The
latter translates into tensile forces distributed unequally across the
section. These are greater at the edges, i.e. farther from the neutral axis.
The greater forces are due to bending. The tension forces also spread over a
greater area. It's unlikely that you are able to approach the limiting value
when towing.
The force due to bending is zero at the centre of the draw bar.
If you drill your holes in the centre of the draw bar therefore you will be
OK.
If your draw bar is in fact a box section, you will have to insert some
tubular spacers to prevent crushing when tightening the bolts.
Now the disclaimer bit. I have given this advice with only the minimum
information. The final decision is yours.

John