91 2L Cavalier SRi as tug for folding van?

Old July 31st 04, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

Default 91 2L Cavalier SRi as tug for folding van?

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:34:35 GMT, riccip wrote:

T i m wrote:

So, I know loads of you might have had both (Sierra and Cavalier) so
what should we do .. keep the (now fading) Sierra estate for the load
space and towing ability or go for the SRi for the power steering (for
the missus) and newer paintwork etc? sigh.

Go for the Cavvy before your mate changes his mind.

Well he needs the space and as he's had it for a long time (like I
have with the Sierra) he would like to see it going to a goood home ..
plus he's got a Shogun, Merc, Rover summat ..

I've owned
both in the past and the Cavalier SRI is *much* better than the
Sierra estate all round.

Except it's FWD (no good if you want to pull away a bit lively,
especially towing?) and won't have the space in the rear? Also the
Sierra has got manual windows and in 22 years they haven't stopped
working. The 91 Rover has electrics and the drivers side needs to be
helped to close properly and the passenger one only works from the
drivers switch. Neither elec window works on the 91 SRi (some sort of
cct board apparently .. is that likely to be expensive?)

They'll run to very high mileages
without problems and you should save on fuel too.

Now that's a good point, the fuel consumption. I suppose being
'injected' the metering is better and on a run the Sierra has only
managed about 33 (mind you that was more often or not towing ..)

Good tow car,
nice performance & handling, and you will be pleasantly surprised
how much stuff they can actually carry, especially with the rear
seats down.

Similar to the Rover 218SD possibly. I collected a short metal filing
cupboard in the Rover the other day and had to sorta wedge it up (and
damaged the roof lining in the process) to get the hatch to shut. The
Sierra would have gobbled it up and had loads of room to spare!
However, I do have two goods trailers go if I need to carry anything
big .... ?

Get your towbar from Ebay:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/cavalier-to...tedincountryZ3

Thanks for the link fella .. funny, never thought of eBay for a bar (I
have 92 feedback history). I suppose it was the carriage cost that
sort of put me off but I might find a local one ..

Oh, on eBay, what 'MK' would a 91 SRi be do you know please?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. The crrent owner of the Cav mentioned there is a bit of a
'rattle' in / around one of the rear brake assemblies .. thinks it
might be something to do with the parking brake (because it has discs
on the rear?) He says the handbrake works ok as his drive has quite a
slope on it .. ;-)