Caravans banished to slow lane on M5

Old July 31st 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

Default Caravans banished to slow lane on M5

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:08:03 GMT, riccip wrote:

snip
Off the motorway it's commonplace to see long queues
of solo cars waiting to overtake a towed caravan, yet in 30 years
of driving I've never seen a caravan pull over to allow their
reluctant followers to pass.

Hi fella,

You haven't followed me towing anything then have you ;-)

I am very aware when towing that I can be a 'burden' to other road
users (not my fault, 2L car, light trailers, good driver, just speed
limits ..) who often aren't 'impatient' but just want to get on with
their day. If because of the road type (twisty) or weather I can't
maintain a decent speed I will be vary aware of what's behind me and
find pullover points (or invite them to overtake on the long straight
clear bits by indicating left, slowing slightly and pulling right over
...) Most folk make use of the offer, others simply indicate they are
ok and happly follow me.

I even do the same when in the car solo and am being followed by a
motorcycle (as a motorcyclist myself) .. again, most take the offer
(and often lift their fingers off the bars as a 'thanks') but one the
other day shook his head and stayed behind me (and I was in the 218SD)
? ;-)

Similar when towing *behind* the motorcycles .. even though I have
tested my trailer at 100 mph (test track g) I'm still very aware of
the increased stopping distance and ride accordingly. I will still
pull over if I feel someone behind wan'ts to press on?

All of the above is 'old fashioned' though .. most the respect and
courtesy has not only gone from the roads but in life in general ..
everyone just looks out for No1 .. ?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I recently had need to go round the M25 (I try to avoid driving
wherever possible) and would suggest *most* of the issues were caused
by lorries taking 5 miles to overtake each other (and folk
undertaking) .. ;-(